Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Steam Link App on Samsung TVs
wojtek88 Jul 29, 2017
Hi guys,
according to many articles, for example this one, Samsung is working together with Valve on Steam Link App for their TVs. It seems the app is in Beta, is available only in US, for Samsung 2016 and 2017 UHD TVs.

Have anyone tried it with Linux? Have anyone managed to run it outside US? Have anyone managed to run it on non-UHD TV?
wojtek88 Aug 2, 2017
So after playing around with TV settings, I managed to switch region to US and to be able to install Steam Link App on my UE40K5572 Samsung TV (What is important, it is non UHD TV, but it is from 2016/2017 series, so app is available for this model).
What I can see is that App recognizes my Steam instance (running on Linux) and my Steam Controller, so that's great!
Unfortunately my TV is in one room, my PC is in different one and router is in yet another one, while all those devices are connected through Wi-Fi. Network test gives me information, that 100% of frames are being lost, so I will have to give it a try in wired setup.

If anyone is interested in how it goes I may record it, just need to know if there is at least one person interested in this topic :).
wojtek88 Aug 5, 2017
I didn't manage to record my gaming session, because of lack of camera tripod (I was hoping to get one, but have some tough week).
However I did manage to give Steam Link app a try in wired setup.
The setup was temporary, just to give it a go, so don't judge me :). Here is how it looked like:

As you can see there is a Steam Link App on TV, there is my 6 years old laptop that I use for gaming Linux games and a router that is connected to the internet and both machines are wired to it.

So how did Steam Link Samsung App behave with my rig?

First of all I had to connect Steam Controller.

It was recognized without a problem and it found my PC immediately.

After choosing my PC, Steam on laptop went to Big Picture mode. So I gave a try to few games and here are my findings:

- DIRT Showdown: Too big lag, couldn't play (I've tested the game directly on TV through hdmi and there was a micro lag, but it was fully playable through HDMI).
- Don't Starve: Was cool, however there was a little lag, but it was playable.
- Spec Ops the Line: Another VP title and it was not playable as well. Lag was too big for sure.
- Pillars of Eternity: the biggest disappointment. The game did not render mouse cursor on screen, therefore it wasn't possible to play it. I was comparing the screen on laptop and TV and there was a big lag between screens as well...
- World of Goo: I must say it was almost perfect. There was a mini lag while comparing the screens, but if I focused on TV screen I must say it was fully playable.
- Civilization 5: The game had almost 0 lag, I must say that screen was almost the same as on laptop. Unfortunately there was no cursor on TV screen, same issue as with Pillars of Eternity.
- Shank: This was the best experience I had across all games. No lag that I could feel, perfect experience.
- BroForce: Small lag, but fully playable (which was a surprise because I read some time ago that on Windows the game wasn't working with Steam Link Samsung app).
- SuperHot: Surprisingly well, but I didn't finish even one level :D.

Overall feeling:
I consider in-home streaming as great functionality for titles that are not forcing your quick actions - like games with live pause (Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny), turn-based games (Civilization, XCOM series), city builders (Cities: Skylines) etc.
I must say that I am disappointed with the fact, that the only 2 games that I would like to play with in-home streaming that I've tested (Pillars of Eternity and Civilization 5) did not work well.
Steam Link App from Samsung is in beta, but you can already tell that it might be good alternative for Steam Link device from Valve - it seems it behaves good, so why would you buy external hardware if you can have it in TV (of course assuming you have Samsung TV).
What is important - it works with Linux, so we're not left behind in this topic.

If Samsung developers / game developers will fix missing icon issue for the games that rely on mouse cursor I will say that I will use it for few titles from my library. I will just need to change the way cables are distributed in my flat.

Here is a full gallery if you are interested
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.