Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Rocket League Performance
hodasemi Oct 10, 2017
Hi,

I love playing Rocket League. I got about 400 hours on it already, but I think I'am missing something.
At the beginning of a match, when the timer is 0 there is a big frame drop as well as someone is getting destroyed. It's like a whole second.

Which setup do you guys run this game to get a perfect performance?

I don't think it's my hardware that causes so much frame drops. I'm using R7 1700 + RX 470 with fully updated Archlinux (Linux 4.13.x and Mesa 17.2.x not sure about the correct numbers, but it's up to date for sure).
wolfyrion Oct 10, 2017
The same happening with PS4 and a High end PC with 1080Ti and even when players join in the middle off the game.
(On the other hand I am always uploading and downloading stuff so I thought that may have caused these issues)
juliette90 Oct 19, 2017
is the crossplatforme work well?
hodasemi Oct 19, 2017
Cross-Platform does work very well, but you will have problems windows users wont have.
A friend who dual boots windows and linux confirmed that the linux version has these kind of hard fps drop where the windows version runs buttery smooth. In a competitive sense, you will always be screwed.
copper_tunic Dec 10, 2017
Yeah game freezes momentarily when someone is demo'd, but it only happens the first time someone is demo'd after opening the game. It's as if the explosion textures have to be fetched from disk, or the shaders suddenly have to be compiled on the fly or something. I guess you could always start a game against bots and demo one before starting competitive matches.
th0gz19 Jul 10, 2018
I'm using RX470.
My remedy for the demolition fps drop is moving the Rocket League directory from Mechanical HDD to SSD.
Though there's still fps drops when so much is happening like reaching supersonic in the air.
Executing this with root might help:

# echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level

the /card0/ part might be different.

I never had issue with gtx 1070, everything is understandably smooth.
hodasemi Jul 10, 2018
With mesa 18.x this behaviour seems to be fixed for me, even running it from HDD.
Arthur Jul 20, 2018
This is actually why I only play RL on Windows, I have a GTX 960 and the constant small stuttering under Linux and occasional major stuttering is a real pain to deal with, and since I have Windows anyway for playing certain games with friends, I am sparing myself the frustration. A pity because otherwise the Linux version seems to work well.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.