Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
The Bard's Tale IV
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Shmerl Feb 16, 2018
inXile announced, that the Bard's Tale IV is scheduled to be released in Q3 2018.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2115177

QuoteNow that we're in 2018, a number of you have asked "when" this year you can expect to see the game. We're happy to announce that the game should be out in Q3 of this year. We're looking forward to getting the game to you (with alpha (soon!) and beta access to those backers along the way)!
Avehicle7887 Feb 16, 2018
They using Unreal Engine 4, hopefully no bad surprises until then. The game looks amazing and will be my first Bard's Tale game, can't wait for some Linux gameplay videos.
Joeyboots80 Feb 17, 2018
I am a huge fan of this series, and at risk of giving away my age, have been playing it since the original Bard's Tale on a Tandy 1000 SX. It was the late 80's and I was like 7 or 8 at the time.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this and will definitely be throwing my money happily at it at release. Thanks for the heads up Shmerl. ^_^
Shmerl Feb 18, 2018
Quoting: Joeyboots80Anyway, I am looking forward to this and will definitely be throwing my money happily at it at release. Thanks for the heads up Shmerl. ^_^

I've never played the original series, but I trust inXile can make a good game, so I backed The Bard's Tale IV when they crowdfunded it. And they are are staunch supporters of DRM-free Linux releases. I did play their satirical The Bard's Tale that they released for Linux a while ago, and it's a hilarious game, though it's not directly related to the original trilogy.

See also their Kickstarter trailer for the Bard's Tale IV (with Julie Fowlis singing):

View video on youtube.com

And for the fans of the original games:

slaapliedje Feb 21, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: Joeyboots80Anyway, I am looking forward to this and will definitely be throwing my money happily at it at release. Thanks for the heads up Shmerl. ^_^

I've never played the original series, but I trust inXile can make a good game, so I backed The Bard's Tale IV when they crowdfunded it. And they are are staunch supporters of DRM-free Linux releases. I did play their satirical The Bard's Tale that they released for Linux a while ago, and it's a hilarious game, though it's not directly related to the original trilogy.

See also their Kickstarter trailer for the Bard's Tale IV (with Julie Fowlis singing):

And for the fans of the original games:

The satirical one does come with the original trilogy. Too bad they didn't include the construction set.

On that note, I never beat the first game, but I am fairly certain my friend invented some new swear words while he was trying to complete it on the C64. He had the clue book even (anyone old enough to remember those? Now you just look up online at the walkthrough...)

I won't give any spoilers, but to say the clue book became worthless is an understatement.
Shmerl Feb 21, 2018
Quoting: slaapliedjeThe satirical one does come with the original trilogy.

It does, but it's not working on Linux from inside the game. You can extract the games though (see here and run them through an Apple IIgs emulator. I tried doing it a while ago, but the result wasn't very playable, so I gave up on it.
slaapliedje Feb 22, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: slaapliedjeThe satirical one does come with the original trilogy.

It does, but it's not working on Linux from inside the game. You can extract the games though (see here and run them through an Apple IIgs emulator. I tried doing it a while ago, but the result wasn't very playable, so I gave up on it.

Weird, I swear it wasn't too long ago I saw an update that fixed the Linux versions.

Just verified at least the very first game works! Pretty sure it was a month or two back that I got an update to the game that had stated it fixed Linux versions.
Shmerl Feb 22, 2018
Quoting: slaapliedjeWeird, I swear it wasn't too long ago I saw an update that fixed the Linux versions.

Just verified at least the very first game works! Pretty sure it was a month or two back that I got an update to the game that had stated it fixed Linux versions.

Just checked the GOG page - no updates in a very long time. I'll contact inXile about it.
slaapliedje Feb 23, 2018
Indeed, I should have specified this was through Steam. I wonder how they deal with updates through GOG. Do wish they would release Galaxy for Linux, or someone made an open source UI, would probably buy more games from them.
Shmerl Feb 23, 2018
Quoting: slaapliedjeIndeed, I should have specified this was through Steam. I wonder how they deal with updates through GOG. Do wish they would release Galaxy for Linux, or someone made an open source UI, would probably buy more games from them.

I don't think Galaxy would affect it. Basically, developers need to upload their updates to GOG to begin with. They often don't. Some like Forzenbyte didn't update their games like Trine on GOG for a very long time, until users started complaining.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.