Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Feral's attitude towards DRM-free releases?
Page: «10/11»
  Go to:
Shmerl Jun 7, 2020
Quoting: CatKillerSoothing those fears is the service that Feral provides

We aren't talking about some stupid studios who don't know left from right about software development and have some "fears" and other irrational ways to make their plans. I'm talking about professionals. And they either have experts or they do not. What Feral offer is expertise, not a "way to sooth fears". That's the usual choice. Either hire experts / train them in house or outsource the work to external "consultancies". Feral offer the later approach. What's happening today is growing in-house expertise with Linux development for gaming. Those who are not professionals and handle things through fear and paranoia aren't going to change, Feral or not. I don't think they even are worth any attention.

Last edited by Shmerl on 7 June 2020 at 9:17 am UTC
CatKiller Jun 7, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlI'm talking about professionals.

Read any of the interviews that Liam has done, or go to the places where game devs sit round the campfire. The only thing is whether the revenue from sales is higher than the costs of support. For almost all game developers, those who aren't interested in Linux as a gaming platform in its own right, support costs are really high because they did it as an afterthought, way out of proportion to the revenue they're likely to get. And other devs hear those stories and shy away. That's just how it is.

Costs can come down, revenues can go up. I hope they do. But we aren't there yet. Stadia might help, or it might not, but we don't know either way yet.
CatKiller Jun 7, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlEither hire experts / train them in house or outsource the work to external "consultancies".

I'm going to reiterate this point, because it's really important.

For a competent dev, the cost of making a Linux version is likely negative in a lot of cases. You find bugs faster, which means that you either have time to add new features, or you can release earlier meaning you don't need to pay staff and costs for as long before you get to move onto the next thing.

The cost of supporting a Linux game is an entirely different thing.

If you're a competent dev, support costs are likely still low, but non-zero. You need to test. You need to have support staff that know what they're talking about. You need a distribution channel. You need to minimise the weird stuff that your game does. You need to be responsive to changes in your customers' environments as upgrades happen, and drivers change, and so on.

Most devs won't have built their game multiplatform with Linux in mind from the ground up. There will be middleware that needs to be replaced. There will be assumptions that were made that are only true on Windows, so code will need to be redesigned. You need to pick your target from an overwhelming variety of distros that you know nothing about. Trying to do it after the fact is a nightmare. And for apparently less than 1% of the market.

That is the part that Feral takes off the devs' hands, and where their expertise is. They take something made with no real consideration of Linux and turn it into revenue and good reviews with no particular extra effort on the part of the devs themselves.

More native games from developers will be nice, but there are an awful lot of developers for whom Linux is not a primary target and won't be for quite a long time. If it were a primary platform for them, making the Linux game would be cheap, but it isn't, and so supporting the Linux game is really expensive.
jens Jun 7, 2020
  • Supporter
To add to that, first line and second line support is usually not done by the actual developers (of course there are exceptions). Offering Linux support means also to train or hire these kind of people. My guess is that finding good support stuff is sometimes even harder than finding good developers. Now try to find support stuff with Linux experience ...
Shmerl Jun 7, 2020
All of the above (development and support expertise) is growing in-house now. So what I said above applies all the same. Feral's business model is now less and less in demand. Making their own studios and their own games sounds like the best option for companies like that today.

Alternative option would be help training developers, for those who actually are building up that expertise, working with studios directly. That's what Google are doing when helping those who release for Stadia. Since you said that experts are hard to find so far, that should be a good option for a while still.

Last edited by Shmerl on 7 June 2020 at 4:19 pm UTC
jens Jun 7, 2020
  • Supporter
At least on Linux there is probably less and less demand, I agree. And may be there are already offering consultancy as a service, we don't know. Though I would expect that they would advertise this on their site. My bet would be that they will shift their focus even more to mobile ports. My hopes are actually pretty small that Linux will see future products from Feral :(

I don't think Feral will just start developing their own games, that's a whole different world imho. That said their mobile ports are already quite different than the originals with regard to UI and controls, so the results are already more than just straight ports.
Shmerl Jun 7, 2020
Making their own games is a different thing, but they have engine developers. They just need other game developers as well (designers, artists and etc.) to complement whom they already have. At least that's an option.

I don't see porting companies continuing what they are doing in the long run. Both commodity engines supporting Linux well and studios building all that expertise in house means there won't be enough need for them.

Last edited by Shmerl on 7 June 2020 at 6:28 pm UTC
PublicNuisance Jun 10, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: PublicNuisanceStadia games are not native Linux games. They are not Linux games any more than a PS4 gamer can say they are playing BSD games on their console simply because it's OS was based on BSD. If a game has released on Stadia but not available on Linux outside of it then it is not a Linux game.

Stadia developers are Linux developers. So these big studios have them now. Before they didn't have them. Whether they want to release for Linux or not is another question, but in the past when they wanted, they had to work with someone like Feral to do it. Today - not anymore.

Wake me up when a Linux version gets released due to Stadia. Any game at all. Until then I refuse to drink the kool aid.
Shmerl Jun 10, 2020
Sure, it would happen no doubt. But we might not necessarily get clear reasons unless developers will say so explicitly.

Last edited by Shmerl on 10 June 2020 at 5:09 am UTC
Comandante Ñoñardo Jun 10, 2020
Quoting: PublicNuisance
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: PublicNuisanceStadia games are not native Linux games. They are not Linux games any more than a PS4 gamer can say they are playing BSD games on their console simply because it's OS was based on BSD. If a game has released on Stadia but not available on Linux outside of it then it is not a Linux game.

Stadia developers are Linux developers. So these big studios have them now. Before they didn't have them. Whether they want to release for Linux or not is another question, but in the past when they wanted, they had to work with someone like Feral to do it. Today - not anymore.

Wake me up when a Linux version gets released due to Stadia. Any game at all. Until then I refuse to drink the kool aid.

Metro Exodus?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.