Rust Server issues
DarkMavrik Apr 13, 2018
Well lads prepare for a long post,

So first things first, what is Rust, Rust is the most Hardcore PC Survival game out there, they do this by a challenging environment, but most of all raw human interaction. All of which takes place in a game where your emotions are pulled. As pointed out in this Review Rust is a game that is meant to be harsh. When you start out naked, afraid, and lost on the map, with nothing but a rock and torch. You take that and gather and move through the map collecting materials, and components, crafting weapons and armour just to survive against the rust world of dangerous. These Dangerous consist of wildlife, Scientists, attack choppers, and the environment. But most of all other players, other players can be friendly, or they can slaughter you and take all that you have. That is the harshness of fellow human interaction in a Survival game. After you have gotten enough to stand on, you finally start laying down a base, to make your life easier and have a home. To store all that sweet sweet loot, and have a sense of safety in it. But along with that sense of safety comes anxiety, the anxiety of knowing at any point, you will be naked on a beach with a rock again, because someone decided to raid you and take it all. This harshness and these emotions, the human interactions is what makes this game so sweet. The stories of raiding and fighting making new friends, these are the stories I have after almost 2k hours in this game. No not all of them are great, infarct the vast majority are not, but it makes the good ones all the more sweater.

So now that I hope you have read what this game holds for you, there is another route to play the game, the PVE way of creativity. the vast majority of people do not play rust this way, but it is still a great way to play. Come test out in safety a new Rust base design you have come up with before going out into the hard hard world of Rust to build it for real.

In the GoL Rust server all is not well, as it stands it is a mess, that is uninviting to new players, and not very attractive to stay. It is not PVE, it is a PvP server, one with those tricky human interactions, but there are rules, as most rust servers do that are not official Facepunch servers. No base decay by emptying a TC, kinda takes away the chance of being back to 0 after a raid but a great rule. No greifing, nice not to walk out a door and have a door camper or turret facing it, or some of the other harshness's human interaction can lead to. How ever it is still a PVP server, and the current admins have repeatedly targeted me and my friends over and over.

If you raid, now you can only fill your inventory up one time, and not come back ever to that base. You can not build a base designed to make it hard to get to the loot. No shooting people. This has all been told us, in a PvP server, not a PvE server. I will not name names, but the admin has flown into the base, to even know it was a vault base. This is extremely not ok on any server without players permission unless your looking for hackers, especially on a server where the admins play, which pushes players away for fear of Admin abuse.

If this was a PvE server there would be no complaints, but this is a PvP server. I use Linux and am passionate about it. This is the second time trying to play on the Linux server and its appalling that this can't be done. As I play and Twitch stream, friends and others are joining the server. I would love to convince them that its a great community and a wonderful operating system. Most of these friends leave the server in a few hours, and tell me to stop trying to work with the admins, and go play on a actual rust server.

As this server stands its population will never grow, it needs to be PvE, or PvP with slight rules and left alone. Enemies and friendships will be crafted in the PvP. It can be done. Right now it is blatantly obvious most if not all the Admins have never truly played rust. So before all of this hits the fan I would like to issue a challenge to these Admins. Just go play the dam game would you? Go to another public server I would suggest a Solo/Duo/Trio server with some slight mods. Build together, survive together, raid, counter raid, and have shoot outs. Make alliances with your neighbours to defend each-others bases, do some trading. Get raided, knocked down, learn from your mistakes, rebuild. STOP smashing the players on your rust server for trying to play the game, without killing the population of it. :D

If anyone wants I will link a video to the Vault base design, there are 30 different working ones available on the youtube.
nox Apr 13, 2018
Hi DarkMavrik, nice to see you in here! :)

I’ll try to reply to your concerns one paragraph at a time.

Quoting: DarkMavrikIn the GoL Rust server all is not well, as it stands it is a mess, that is uninviting to new players, and not very attractive to stay. It is not PVE, it is a PvP server, one with those tricky human interactions, but there are rules, as most rust servers do that are not official Facepunch servers. No base decay by emptying a TC, kinda takes away the chance of being back to 0 after a raid but a great rule. No greifing, nice not to walk out a door and have a door camper or turret facing it, or some of the other harshness's human interaction can lead to. How ever it is still a PVP server, and the current admins have repeatedly targeted me and my friends over and over.
Anyone who are on the line to breaking the guidelines will be targeted. I don’t drop the banhammer easily, I’d rather try to work things out and get groups to understand the community and server. Sadly this has been hard so far. If this is because of me or my chosen words I apologize, but as it stands it hasn’t been easy and I have every day needed to check what “in the gray zone” has been done today.

I’m a bit sad that I felt forced to ban one of your group members yesterday for a note left in a raided, emptied base (except for the TC).

Please note: I’m willing to talk anywhere and bring any of the staff on for the talk. But you have to talk with me, let every party see both points of view - not completely disregard what I say (like one individual in your group sometimes seem to lean towards doing).

Quoting: DarkMavrikIf you raid, now you can only fill your inventory up one time, and not come back ever to that base. You can not build a base designed to make it hard to get to the loot. No shooting people. This has all been told us, in a PvP server, not a PvE server. I will not name names, but the admin has flown into the base, to even know it was a vault base. This is extremely not ok on any server without players permission unless your looking for hackers, especially on a server where the admins play, which pushes players away for fear of Admin abuse.
You are free to name names, it’s me! :)
Regarding admin abuse: An admin who has seen a base, base location or their players with the use of admin tools will never actively raid said base or attack the people. The closest thing to admin abuse we have is me placing scarecrows behind people to spook them.

A recent example, specifically regarding your base:

I was in discord while people were discussing where your base might be. While I knew the location I have nothing to earn on giving that away, unless I had found it as a player in the wild (which I have not).

One member started searching in logical places and might or might not have found it, I will not confirm or deny if it is that one. That’s up to them to find out.

Specifically regarding the vault base:
I saw this design early on, but it seemed like it was never used so I left it alone until I was tipped that it was closed. Building bases that abuse building mechanics to completely hide the entrance really isn’t within the “respectful” and “friendly” guidelines - especially since they also point out building as one of the topics.

If you consider this kind of base OK on a friendly pvp server then I’d love to hear some arguments to support that. I’m always interested in doing the best thing for the community and server, so if I can change something for the better - please let me know.

Quoting: DarkMavrikIf this was a PvE server there would be no complaints, but this is a PvP server. I use Linux and am passionate about it. This is the second time trying to play on the Linux server and its appalling that this can't be done. As I play and Twitch stream, friends and others are joining the server. I would love to convince them that its a great community and a wonderful operating system. Most of these friends leave the server in a few hours, and tell me to stop trying to work with the admins, and go play on a actual rust server.

It’s a bit of a different PvP server. You seem to be missing a crucial part, which seems to miss most of the standard rust players for a while: It’s a friendly pvp server.

Raiding is great - but be friendly and respectful while doing so.
PVP is great - but again, be friendly and respectful while doing so.

I don’t want actions of one person paint your whole group - but you do have people who hasn’t exactly tried to follow those guidelines well. One which got banned for a note left in a completely emptied base.

Quoting: DarkMavrikAs this server stands its population will never grow, it needs to be PvE, or PvP with slight rules and left alone.

I’d rather have a tiny server I do not need to babysit to keep clean instead of a server that would grow.

That said, it would be great if I had a channel to reach the right kind of people for the server, but those are few and far between.

Quoting: DarkMavrikEnemies and friendships will be crafted in the PvP. It can be done. Right now it is blatantly obvious most if not all the Admins have never truly played rust. So before all of this hits the fan I would like to issue a challenge to these Admins. Just go play the dam game would you? Go to another public server I would suggest a Solo/Duo/Trio server with some slight mods. Build together, survive together, raid, counter raid, and have shoot outs. Make alliances with your neighbours to defend each-others bases, do some trading. Get raided, knocked down, learn from your mistakes, rebuild. STOP smashing the players on your rust server for trying to play the game, without killing the population of it. :D
I have personally played on Solo/Duo/Trio servers, even officials. And that’s not the gameplay the server is about at all. It serves a different purpose - or at least a modified purpose.

I’d like to point out again. Get in touch with me anywhere if you want to discuss anything and bring whoever you want along. I’m always up for discussing what is best for the server and community.

Now, I'd like to add a bit of context to the picture specifically regarding your group as a whole as I did not see it pointed out anywhere:
Your group has been a "problem group" early on in the servers life. If memory serves me right, you did face a short ban before leaving the server. This little piece of history is important in the full picture. New members do not get monitored out of nowhere. I'd much rather play the game and have fun. But a group that has caused issues before will of course raise flags.

To finish of, here is a little vagueish list over your groups gray activities:
  • Completely cleaning out bases, except for TC.

• Targeting one base that got emptied twice, according to our logs.

• Left said base owner with nothing but a gimp mask. (Absolutely not necessary).

• One member left a very indecent note in another completely emptied base.

• Building a hidden vault based on the twig + stability building technique.

• But the biggest one is:
  • Dismissing warnings about activities.

Liam Dawe Apr 13, 2018
Honestly, I think you're being disingenuous to the max here.

You know exactly what you and your group did before. I was around, Sin was around as were most of the other regular players and Sin was a repeated target for both abuse and in-game griefing. The attitude and toxicity of your group is not something we're comfortable having around, quite obviously you just haven't learned a thing.

Also, it's really not acceptable to have a public livestream, where one of your group literally starts talking trash about the person paying for and running the server - "i can't tell how many hours dumbfuck fucking nox has" while you're going through their Steam profiles live on the stream - not acceptable either.

If you don't like how a particular server is run, don't play on it. There's hundreds of other Rust servers out there, each with their own set of rules. You can't go around breaking rules, being a bunch of assholes and cry foul because it's not run exactly how you want.

Thread locked. This will not be debated again.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.