You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Rust Server issues
DarkMavrik commented on 13 April 2018 at 11:52 am UTC

Well lads prepare for a long post,

So first things first, what is Rust, Rust is the most Hardcore PC Survival game out there, they do this by a challenging environment, but most of all raw human interaction. All of which takes place in a game where your emotions are pulled. As pointed out in this Review Rust is a game that is meant to be harsh. When you start out naked, afraid, and lost on the map, with nothing but a rock and torch. You take that and gather and move through the map collecting materials, and components, crafting weapons and armour just to survive against the rust world of dangerous. These Dangerous consist of wildlife, Scientists, attack choppers, and the environment. But most of all other players, other players can be friendly, or they can slaughter you and take all that you have. That is the harshness of fellow human interaction in a Survival game. After you have gotten enough to stand on, you finally start laying down a base, to make your life easier and have a home. To store all that sweet sweet loot, and have a sense of safety in it. But along with that sense of safety comes anxiety, the anxiety of knowing at any point, you will be naked on a beach with a rock again, because someone decided to raid you and take it all. This harshness and these emotions, the human interactions is what makes this game so sweet. The stories of raiding and fighting making new friends, these are the stories I have after almost 2k hours in this game. No not all of them are great, infarct the vast majority are not, but it makes the good ones all the more sweater.

So now that I hope you have read what this game holds for you, there is another route to play the game, the PVE way of creativity. the vast majority of people do not play rust this way, but it is still a great way to play. Come test out in safety a new Rust base design you have come up with before going out into the hard hard world of Rust to build it for real.

In the GoL Rust server all is not well, as it stands it is a mess, that is uninviting to new players, and not very attractive to stay. It is not PVE, it is a PvP server, one with those tricky human interactions, but there are rules, as most rust servers do that are not official Facepunch servers. No base decay by emptying a TC, kinda takes away the chance of being back to 0 after a raid but a great rule. No greifing, nice not to walk out a door and have a door camper or turret facing it, or some of the other harshness's human interaction can lead to. How ever it is still a PVP server, and the current admins have repeatedly targeted me and my friends over and over.

If you raid, now you can only fill your inventory up one time, and not come back ever to that base. You can not build a base designed to make it hard to get to the loot. No shooting people. This has all been told us, in a PvP server, not a PvE server. I will not name names, but the admin has flown into the base, to even know it was a vault base. This is extremely not ok on any server without players permission unless your looking for hackers, especially on a server where the admins play, which pushes players away for fear of Admin abuse.

If this was a PvE server there would be no complaints, but this is a PvP server. I use Linux and am passionate about it. This is the second time trying to play on the Linux server and its appalling that this can't be done. As I play and Twitch stream, friends and others are joining the server. I would love to convince them that its a great community and a wonderful operating system. Most of these friends leave the server in a few hours, and tell me to stop trying to work with the admins, and go play on a actual rust server.

As this server stands its population will never grow, it needs to be PvE, or PvP with slight rules and left alone. Enemies and friendships will be crafted in the PvP. It can be done. Right now it is blatantly obvious most if not all the Admins have never truly played rust. So before all of this hits the fan I would like to issue a challenge to these Admins. Just go play the dam game would you? Go to another public server I would suggest a Solo/Duo/Trio server with some slight mods. Build together, survive together, raid, counter raid, and have shoot outs. Make alliances with your neighbours to defend each-others bases, do some trading. Get raided, knocked down, learn from your mistakes, rebuild. STOP smashing the players on your rust server for trying to play the game, without killing the population of it.

If anyone wants I will link a video to the Vault base design, there are 30 different working ones available on the youtube.

nox commented on 13 April 2018 at 12:37 pm UTC

Hi DarkMavrik, nice to see you in here!

I’ll try to reply to your concerns one paragraph at a time.

DarkMavrikIn the GoL Rust server all is not well, as it stands it is a mess, that is uninviting to new players, and not very attractive to stay. It is not PVE, it is a PvP server, one with those tricky human interactions, but there are rules, as most rust servers do that are not official Facepunch servers. No base decay by emptying a TC, kinda takes away the chance of being back to 0 after a raid but a great rule. No greifing, nice not to walk out a door and have a door camper or turret facing it, or some of the other harshness's human interaction can lead to. How ever it is still a PVP server, and the current admins have repeatedly targeted me and my friends over and over.
Anyone who are on the line to breaking the guidelines will be targeted. I don’t drop the banhammer easily, I’d rather try to work things out and get groups to understand the community and server. Sadly this has been hard so far. If this is because of me or my chosen words I apologize, but as it stands it hasn’t been easy and I have every day needed to check what “in the gray zone” has been done today.

I’m a bit sad that I felt forced to ban one of your group members yesterday for a note left in a raided, emptied base (except for the TC).

Please note: I’m willing to talk anywhere and bring any of the staff on for the talk. But you have to talk with me, let every party see both points of view - not completely disregard what I say (like one individual in your group sometimes seem to lean towards doing).

DarkMavrikIf you raid, now you can only fill your inventory up one time, and not come back ever to that base. You can not build a base designed to make it hard to get to the loot. No shooting people. This has all been told us, in a PvP server, not a PvE server. I will not name names, but the admin has flown into the base, to even know it was a vault base. This is extremely not ok on any server without players permission unless your looking for hackers, especially on a server where the admins play, which pushes players away for fear of Admin abuse.
You are free to name names, it’s me!
Regarding admin abuse: An admin who has seen a base, base location or their players with the use of admin tools will never actively raid said base or attack the people. The closest thing to admin abuse we have is me placing scarecrows behind people to spook them.

A recent example, specifically regarding your base:

I was in discord while people were discussing where your base might be. While I knew the location I have nothing to earn on giving that away, unless I had found it as a player in the wild (which I have not).

One member started searching in logical places and might or might not have found it, I will not confirm or deny if it is that one. That’s up to them to find out.

Specifically regarding the vault base:
I saw this design early on, but it seemed like it was never used so I left it alone until I was tipped that it was closed. Building bases that abuse building mechanics to completely hide the entrance really isn’t within the “respectful” and “friendly” guidelines - especially since they also point out building as one of the topics.

If you consider this kind of base OK on a friendly pvp server then I’d love to hear some arguments to support that. I’m always interested in doing the best thing for the community and server, so if I can change something for the better - please let me know.

DarkMavrikIf this was a PvE server there would be no complaints, but this is a PvP server. I use Linux and am passionate about it. This is the second time trying to play on the Linux server and its appalling that this can't be done. As I play and Twitch stream, friends and others are joining the server. I would love to convince them that its a great community and a wonderful operating system. Most of these friends leave the server in a few hours, and tell me to stop trying to work with the admins, and go play on a actual rust server.

It’s a bit of a different PvP server. You seem to be missing a crucial part, which seems to miss most of the standard rust players for a while: It’s a friendly pvp server.

Raiding is great - but be friendly and respectful while doing so.
PVP is great - but again, be friendly and respectful while doing so.

I don’t want actions of one person paint your whole group - but you do have people who hasn’t exactly tried to follow those guidelines well. One which got banned for a note left in a completely emptied base.

DarkMavrikAs this server stands its population will never grow, it needs to be PvE, or PvP with slight rules and left alone.

I’d rather have a tiny server I do not need to babysit to keep clean instead of a server that would grow.

That said, it would be great if I had a channel to reach the right kind of people for the server, but those are few and far between.

DarkMavrikEnemies and friendships will be crafted in the PvP. It can be done. Right now it is blatantly obvious most if not all the Admins have never truly played rust. So before all of this hits the fan I would like to issue a challenge to these Admins. Just go play the dam game would you? Go to another public server I would suggest a Solo/Duo/Trio server with some slight mods. Build together, survive together, raid, counter raid, and have shoot outs. Make alliances with your neighbours to defend each-others bases, do some trading. Get raided, knocked down, learn from your mistakes, rebuild. STOP smashing the players on your rust server for trying to play the game, without killing the population of it.
I have personally played on Solo/Duo/Trio servers, even officials. And that’s not the gameplay the server is about at all. It serves a different purpose - or at least a modified purpose.

I’d like to point out again. Get in touch with me anywhere if you want to discuss anything and bring whoever you want along. I’m always up for discussing what is best for the server and community.

Now, I'd like to add a bit of context to the picture specifically regarding your group as a whole as I did not see it pointed out anywhere:
Your group has been a "problem group" early on in the servers life. If memory serves me right, you did face a short ban before leaving the server. This little piece of history is important in the full picture. New members do not get monitored out of nowhere. I'd much rather play the game and have fun. But a group that has caused issues before will of course raise flags.

To finish of, here is a little vagueish list over your groups gray activities:
  • Completely cleaning out bases, except for TC.

• Targeting one base that got emptied twice, according to our logs.

• Left said base owner with nothing but a gimp mask. (Absolutely not necessary).

• One member left a very indecent note in another completely emptied base.

• Building a hidden vault based on the twig + stability building technique.

• But the biggest one is:
  • Dismissing warnings about activities.

Commander Strax commented on 13 April 2018 at 5:18 pm UTC

Oh wow, this is rich coming from one of you guys.

As a prefix and for orientation purposes for users not familiar with this user and his group: They have been banned on the Rust server at least once to my knowledge for not following the rules of the server and there have been several warnings to members of the group even during this very wipe. In my opinion they should never have been let back on the server. Each one of them is a toxic person and combined their sole mode of operation is to make the game as bad as possible and drive people away from the server. These people are known among the regular players and not in a good way.

Due to this and my experience with people like them and their audacity to drag this into the public and try and discredit the awesome admins of this server the following post by me will not be nice. If you are not a member of the group grab some popcorn.

DarkMavrikWell lads prepare for a long post,

So first things first, what is Rust, Rust is the most Hardcore PC Survival game out there, they do this by a challenging environment, but most of all raw human interaction. All of which takes place in a game where your emotions are pulled. As pointed out in this Review Rust is a game that is meant to be harsh. When you start out naked, afraid, and lost on the map, with nothing but a rock and torch. You take that and gather and move through the map collecting materials, and components, crafting weapons and armour just to survive against the rust world of dangerous. These Dangerous consist of wildlife, Scientists, attack choppers, and the environment. But most of all other players, other players can be friendly, or they can slaughter you and take all that you have. That is the harshness of fellow human interaction in a Survival game. After you have gotten enough to stand on, you finally start laying down a base, to make your life easier and have a home. To store all that sweet sweet loot, and have a sense of safety in it. But along with that sense of safety comes anxiety, the anxiety of knowing at any point, you will be naked on a beach with a rock again, because someone decided to raid you and take it all. This harshness and these emotions, the human interactions is what makes this game so sweet. The stories of raiding and fighting making new friends, these are the stories I have after almost 2k hours in this game. No not all of them are great, infarct the vast majority are not, but it makes the good ones all the more sweater.

bravo, you know how to write a synopsis. Do you want a cookie now? If yes head over to google and never come back. Thanks.

QuoteSo now that I hope you have read what this game holds for you, there is another route to play the game, the PVE way of creativity.

Ah, Mr. Toxic here is doing something very common in internet discussions: Only giving two options on how to play and enjoy a game, excluding any other option implicitly, and also telling anyone exactly how this game is to be played and that anyone who does otherwise is doing something wrong.

Moving on.

Quotethe vast majority of people do not play rust this way
oh another famous thing done nowadays: Putting something as a fact but not providing any evidence or source. Disregard and move on.
Quotebut it is still a great way to play. Come test out in safety a new Rust base design you have come up with before going out into the hard hard world of Rust to build it for real.

ah, so ultimately, he claims, everyone will want to 'enjoy' being raided and killed over and over and over again by groups consisting out of 10+ people. I'm starting to wonder: If that is the ultimate way to enjoy this game - why would this group not go to an official server where such groups and playstyles exist? Well, let's not think too much about it now but keep it in the back of your head.

QuoteIn the GoL Rust server all is not well, as it stands it is a mess

Weirdly enough, I completely agree with this! Although, as you dear reader might already suspect, for different reasons.

Quotethat is uninviting to new players, and not very attractive to stay.

ah, yes. So very, very true.

QuoteIt is not PVE, it is a PvP server

again - let me point out that the original writer does explicitly exclude all other forms of playing this game here. There are no sub-categories according to this individuum. Which is, and let me point this out just in case if you missed it, absolutely false.

Quote, one with those tricky human interactions

human interactions in games are really not tricky at all. Feel free to insert any kind of playful insult here but I'm not going to.

Quote, but there are rules, as most rust servers do that are not official Facepunch servers. No base decay by emptying a TC, kinda takes away the chance of being back to 0 after a raid but a great rule.

this is not a rule of the server. Not even close. The rule is destroying a TC is disapproved of but if you did so - either by accident or because you suspected there is something of worth in there - you are supposed to build a new TC and put enough stuff in there to prevent the base from decaying for the next ~48 hours. In essence: Just put half the resources needed by a base back in there. As for not being back at 0: If one were to take everything - and I mean everything - from a base except the 48 hour resources, that is essentially starting from 0 on this server as upkeep has been severely reduced to allow some players to build things that are not bases. So yeah, leaving nothing not even a building plan and a repair hammer, no food not even a sleeping bag in a base is leaving someone with nothing. Oh and this group is also in the habit of destroying furnaces and even workbenches (which depending on the level are very expensive and kind of the heart of your base).

QuoteNo greifing, nice not to walk out a door and have a door camper or turret facing it, or some of the other harshness's human interaction can lead to.

Those aren't human interactions. These are actions by people like this guy and his group. Especially considering the above part this group has been found guilty of griefing under the rules of this server in the past and in my opinion not leaving even basic tools behind and destroying a sleeping bag (so the owner of the base who is always killed by this group will have to run across the entire map without any means to defend themselves - which in the past has lead to people being killed by members of the group again and again) is griefing.

QuoteHow ever it is still a PVP server

it says quite clear in the server rules that the server is a friendly PVP server. His statement is false.

Quote, and the current admins have repeatedly targeted me and my friends over and over.

insert epic laughter here. 'The current admins' (which essentially means Nox even though he isn't the only one - the regulars of the server now all admins by name) did not do any such thing. They warned, investigated and banned and un-banned this group in the past and yesterday banned one user of this group again.

QuoteIf you raid, now you can only fill your inventory up one time, and not come back ever to that base. You can not build a base designed to make it hard to get to the loot. No shooting people.
this is completely false and utter bullshit. Read the rules.
QuoteThis has all been told us

and yet none of the people in this group manage to follow the rules. Not even a bit. They purposefully misunderstand and re-word stuff and feign ignorance.

Quote, in a PvP server, not a PvE server.

ah, back at the 'only two categories and I know best how exactly everyone should enjoy this game' bullshit. False.

QuoteI will not name names

so nobody can come out and defend themselves directly. And probably because he also forgot the names of the admins because he doesn't care about rules. Or admins. Or the community of the server.

Quote, but the admin has flown into the base, to even know it was a vault base.

this is completely normal and done if someone is suspected of having broken the rules

QuoteThis is extremely not ok on any server without players permission
yeah it is, and unless someone is being an asshole and/or disregarding the rules it is an absolute non-issue.

Quoteunless your looking for hackers

or griefers, or assholes or just want to admire the building. Again False statement.

Quote, especially on a server where the admins play, which pushes players away for fear of Admin abuse.

Epic. Just epic. Okay, yes the admins play on this server (duh! Why else would anyone run a server? Probably not because they enjoy having discussions with toxic people like these guys) but all three of them are more on the peaceful side and admin knowledge is always seperated from player knowledge. Which this group would know if they, like most people who belong to the community of this server, would have spend any time in the Rust voice chat on the GOL discord server. I for one have never seen one of them there. This makes this forum post especially toxic. There are multiple ways to discuss things with the admins. Via an ingame ticket tool or by going into the Discord chat and talking or writing to them either directly or with other people around that can chime in and make things more clear if neccessary. None of this was done.

QuoteIf this was a PvE server there would be no complaints, but this is a PvP server. I use Linux and am passionate about it.
First part is again the ol' 'only two ways to play this game', second part ...I don't even - what does that have anything to do with this? The fuck?

QuoteThis is the second time trying to play on the Linux server and its appalling that this can't be done.

The only thing appalling here is this group and how they treat the admins that have spend hours and days making this server awesome. Writing mods themselves - even teaching themselves a programming language to do so and sorry for...no wait, not sorry. Let me be German blunt for a moment: They are the ones paying for this server so show some fucking respect you little selfish Twat.

I'm not going to sift through the rest of this post I'm fucking done. This person is a fucking waste of space. Why he and his group don't just move on to a, by their definition, 'proper' server is a complete mystery - except it's not. It is quite clear why they like this small community server so much: There are a lot of easy targets - myself included - and they know it. They have known it from day one and they have exploited it as much as they can. On a big server this group wouldn't even get past a level 2 workbench before being raided. The reason for that becomes obvious when one knows one additional fact about their raiding: They only raid when they are absolutely certain that no member of the group a base belongs to is online. Yep, you heared right: They are fucking offline raiders. There are several servers out there who have prohibited offline raiding by differen means. This server didn't because of timezones and the community being spread over several of them.

Also, just to finish this shitshow up: Nobody cares about your Twitch account and again I have no clue what that has to do with anything regarding this topic.

iAlwaysSin commented on 13 April 2018 at 8:25 pm UTC

Hi there, prepare for a long post back to you and your group.

As you are most likely aware, you was banned before. And really shouldn't have been unbanned. But that was an Admin error on my behalf. But surely that give you a hint at that this server is not for you and your group of internet friends.

Now for people that don't know and maybe yourself, you was previously banned for these things:

- door camping a member of the server continuously, until they left the server for a while. Which for the community of the server back in those days was harmful.
- raiding people to the point or no return, and when being told by myself to stop your group said they would just do the same to me (which you did and I will get into that in a min)
- being abusive in text chat, your group and yourself forever insulting and was just disgusting in text chat and once again when given a warning you guys never stopped.

And now for my last point on your and your groups first time on the server (which should of been your last), now to be honest I think at the point you was banned and your group had it in for me. And even when the server was told not to touch what I was building as it was for the community to have fun with this happened:

- it was screwed over, no wait it was griefed to a point that I actually took a break following this. Now your group destroyed the TC, built 4 new TC's and surround me with turrets completely filled up. But that's not even the worst part... oh no. See I was left with a note, a note that told me that I'm a whore and that I should die.

Which then meant that the rest of your group was banned, and you can kind of see why. Personally attacking anyone (whether admin or not) on any server like that is wrong. And to be honest harmful to the community esp if this was done to a member of the community that had already had enough, that we were at the time trying to build. But due to an admin error you guys came back several months later.

After this situation, things changed for the Rust server. We built more of a community and have been living in the Rust world in some sort of peace. But then that took a turn, and you know why. I mean you have been told in game which I'm guessing then lead you to write this post. But you see, you and your group did similar things which you knew didn't pass the last time you played on our server. But you and your group did very similar things again.

- notes where left
- raiding over and over again to the point of no return for anyone playing and them wanting to leave
- being abusive in text chat

All of which ruined the server for the community. Which shouldn't have happened in the first place, due to my mistake.

And that now puts me to today, where I banned you all for once again doing all the stuff which led you to the ban. But like I said due to an admin error on my side you guys could all join again. But then to real seal the deal on this ban was not the forum post, but it was the fact you publicly and streamed the post and trashed talked someone who runs the server when myself or Liam is not around. I mean when will you realise this kind of shit doesn't get your own way?

Alright I think I am done, it wasn't a pleasure knowing you and I hope you have a shit day

liamdawe commented on 13 April 2018 at 8:35 pm UTC

Honestly, I think you're being disingenuous to the max here.

You know exactly what you and your group did before. I was around, Sin was around as were most of the other regular players and Sin was a repeated target for both abuse and in-game griefing. The attitude and toxicity of your group is not something we're comfortable having around, quite obviously you just haven't learned a thing.

Also, it's really not acceptable to have a public livestream, where one of your group literally starts talking trash about the person paying for and running the server - "i can't tell how many hours dumbfuck fucking nox has" while you're going through their Steam profiles live on the stream - not acceptable either.

If you don't like how a particular server is run, don't play on it. There's hundreds of other Rust servers out there, each with their own set of rules. You can't go around breaking rules, being a bunch of assholes and cry foul because it's not run exactly how you want.

Thread locked. This will not be debated again.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts