You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
I YOU DIDN'T BUY FIREWATCH ON GOG, DO IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN..
Comandante Ñoñardo commented on 22 April 2018 at 2:38 am UTC

...because Camposanto, the developer and publisher, has been acquired by Valve...

I am very sure the new owner will remove Firewatch from GOG more sooner than later.

tonR commented on 22 April 2018 at 9:55 am UTC

I don't think Firewatch will removed from GoG BUT, I do think next Camposanto games will not be DRM-Free or at least no longer outside Steam.

But, according to Polygon

QuoteA Campo Santo representative confirmed that Camp Santo’s games will not become PC exclusive under Valve, and will still be created for all platforms.
That's very interesting...

p/s: Valve getting weirder and weirder everyday...

Flabb commented on 22 April 2018 at 11:05 am UTC

Honestly I don't understand this load of hate towards Valve and their acquirement of Campo Santo. In the past Valve bought or hired a lot of indie developers and gave them budget and resources for developing their games. Because of that we got Counter Strike, Left 4 Dead, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Dota - great games not only for their time, but even by today standards. The news about Campo Santo actually made me happy - I think, Valve is planning to give them resources for their new game, just like in the other cases of acquirement, and it's great.
The only concern is about DRM - yeah, probably that means that new Campo Santo games will not be DRM-free. But I don't think they will pull Firewatch from GOG - Valve has been generally friendly to other stores. Remember how they open-sourced the networking framework from Steamworks? They helped game developers to make GOG and Steam games multiplayer compatible - they basically helped GOG and other stores in this case, not themselves.

herycp commented on 22 April 2018 at 1:53 pm UTC

and steam is bigest reason why linux have many comercial game

Cyril commented on 22 April 2018 at 6:06 pm UTC

At least i understand Comandante Ñoñardo, we seen many games removed from the GOG store in the past (for many reasons).
But they didn't removed access for a game in your library if you bought it. It was the case with the Fallout games (1, 2 and Tactics) for example.
Anyway i already have this game on my GOG library so i'm safe.

Guest commented on 22 April 2018 at 8:42 pm UTC

Have to agree. The amount of work Valve has done for linux gaming is fantastic, especially with all the mesa and vulkan work.

Sadly, till GoG actually works on a GoG galaxy client(https://boilingsteam.com/linuxvangog-talks-about-gogs-stance-on-linux/) for linux andlinux version of games that exist for linux already up on gog(https://www.gog.com/mix/games_that_have_native_linux_portselsewhere) (that don't use steam exclusive features), will be using itch.io and steam.

To each there own though. One has to remember, your not going to lose the game if you already bought it, even if it is pulled. All digital pc game platforms allow you to redownload games you already bought, even if they aren't for sale anymore.

Going to support the company that supports our platform with resources and development.

bintsmok commented on 27 April 2018 at 2:11 am UTC

For the others that do not know, not all games on Steam have DRM.

Here are the games I have tested and can confirm that run DRM-free outside Steam.

Hollow Knight
EVERSPACE
Ravenfield

Kuromi commented on 27 April 2018 at 4:17 pm UTC

Oh crap, it was on sale recently and i was like "yeah. looks nice, but i stuffed right now".

Doktor_Mandrake commented on 27 April 2018 at 7:28 pm UTC

bintsmokFor the others that do not know, not all games on Steam have DRM.

Here are the games I have tested and can confirm that run DRM-free outside Steam.

Hollow Knight
EVERSPACE
Ravenfield

Super Meatboy
BallisticNG
Road Redemption
Death Road to Canada
Darkwood
LISA
Screencheat

These games should all work just fine without steam client too

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Tac Tics: „Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts