Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
[DONE] Add a link to YouTube videos in cookie placeholder
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Romlok May 15, 2018
I tend to browse with Javascript disabled, and clear cookies when I quit my browser (about daily). As such, with the recent changes there's no straightforward way for me to watch YouTube videos embedded on the site any more.

So, could we get a link direct to the YouTube page for embedded videos somewhere in the "you must accept cookies" template?
Liam Dawe May 15, 2018
Sure, I will try to come up with a way that works. Trying to think on how to fit it in. Any good suggestions?

I want to make it as easy as possible for everyone, I'm still sad I have to do this but my hand is forced by GDPR.

Edit: I've added an additional blue badge link, for a direct link to the video :)
Romlok May 15, 2018
The simplest way I can think of is just to make the preview image a link. When I was initially looking for a direct link, that's the first thing I checked.

TBH, I've read a bunch about GDPR, and I don't think you *need* to do half of the stuff you're doing, but I find it hard to object to privacy-positive changes. :)
Ehvis May 15, 2018
Nice! Now I can open them in a private window directly.
Liam Dawe May 15, 2018
Quoting: RomlokThe simplest way I can think of is just to make the preview image a link. When I was initially looking for a direct link, that's the first thing I checked.

TBH, I've read a bunch about GDPR, and I don't think you *need* to do half of the stuff you're doing, but I find it hard to object to privacy-positive changes. :)
Well, I'm directly responsible for anything that's loaded in and embed while you visit, that's actually pretty clear.

Hopefully with the direct link below the image it will help :)
Romlok May 15, 2018
Nice! Thanks, Liam! :)
Liam Dawe May 15, 2018
No problem, any time you want a feature adjusted, feel free to make a new topic. Will always try to listen to feedback and act on it where I can.
Redface May 15, 2018
Thanks for this great feature!
Liam Dawe May 15, 2018
You're most welcome everyone :)
Guppy May 16, 2018
Quoting: Romlok...

The GDPR is split into two segments data controller and data processor (local terminology will vary, those are the official english names). Each segment comes with a variety of requirements;

The data processor handles data on behalf of the data controller; in this case the data controller is Liam and the processor is anyone that he chooses to have handle the users (us) data, eg. hosting companies, cloud based accounting, email, etc.

You need a contact with anyone who process data for you in which they state how they handle the data, and what the terms for inspection/auditing is.

Some of the confusion arises because people ( mistakenly ) think that Google (youtube, analytics, etc ) is a data processor - but unless you actively send sensitive data about your user to them, then they are not.
You still need to inform your users that you are using those services and that they may be collecting data about you, where they can go to view/change/delete such data.

All that said the "opt-in" approach that Liam has taken is not a wasted effort, because "they" are currently working on v2.0 of the cookie regulative, which is meant enforce exactly this type of behavior on websites.
Unlike the current regulative that pretty much everyone simply interprets as "we use cookies, press [ok] to have a cookie set that indicates you've seen this message. Don't like it? fuck off"

My credentials; I've spend't the last 2 months almost nonstop with this writing up agreements and code for both roles and talked to more lawyers than I ever hope to again :P
Liam Dawe May 16, 2018
Yeah, our YouTube method is currently future-proof for when more strict rules come in, since everything shown is local to our server, unless you've opted into allowing it on the Cookie Preferences page or you click to view the video once (which doesn't set the always allow cookie)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.