Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Steam Controller after firmware update
Arehandoro May 22, 2018
Hey people,

Hope all is good in the hood.

I updated the firmware of my Steam Controller on Saturday and since then, I can't seem to be able to pair it. Steam sees and contacts the controller, after starting with Steam button + X, then appears the button combination to enter on it but pressing them does not mark the sequence on screen.

I have also checked the config file in the /etc/udev/rules and in /usr directory and it's there and if I plug the controller via cable it's recognised too. Also tried to start the controller with Steam button + A/B and see if the BLTE mode helped. The OS sees the controller but fails to pair it as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks and sorry if the solution has been posted somewhere, haven't found it yet!
chui2ch May 22, 2018
After enabling Bluetooth I had to go into big picture mode, controller and select add a steam controller. then it allowed me to turn it on holding x+steam button and it paired.
Arehandoro May 22, 2018
Quoting: chui2chAfter enabling Bluetooth I had to go into big picture mode, controller and select add a steam controller. then it allowed me to turn it on holding x+steam button and it paired.

That's what I did too, but when the key combination to pair it appears on screen (e.g. BABB) buttons aren't recognised :/
chui2ch May 22, 2018
Do you have a steam link as well? I did have an issue where my controller kept trying to sync to my steam link and not my computer.
Arehandoro May 22, 2018
Quoting: chui2chDo you have a steam link as well? I did have an issue where my controller kept trying to sync to my steam link and not my computer.

I don't have it plugged currently. Nor other devices using Bluetooth at home, if I recall correctly.
chui2ch May 22, 2018
So when it was working I was on Solus. I moved back to Ubuntu,and now it will not detect that I have the steam dongle plugged in.
stud68 May 22, 2018
Have you tried updating Udev rules?
Not 100% sure if you need to do this anymore, as I haven't distro hopped in a while.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/you-will-need-to-update-your-udev-rules-for-the-steam-controller.8593
chui2ch May 22, 2018
On Ubuntu 18.04 I had to install steam-devices in order to get my steam controller working.
Arehandoro May 23, 2018
I had udev rules updated and correct and Steam-Devices previously installed, both to no avail. As mentioned before, the controller works normally plugged via USB. There was another update to Steam last night -at least on my machine, with Debian Sid- and that I believe even broke further the controller. It won't pair with the dongle nor with other Bluetooth devices.

Thanks for your help everyone.
stud68 May 23, 2018
Arehandoro Jun 10, 2018
Quoting: stud68You could try to rollback the firmware.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=572740074

I tried to do that but now the controller is not recognised at all by the computer or Steam. I wasn’t paying attention at the completion bar when I did but perhaps the controller lost connection somehow even when plugged via usb?

This was 2 weeks ago though, have been away since, maybe once I come back home tomorrow some miracle happened and it’s now solved? xD
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.