In Home Streaming Linux / Windows Host
hihu May 27, 2018
Hello, I would like to use the in home streaming to stream games from my computer to my low end notebook with integrated graphics.

Well I have SteamOS and Windows 10 as host and I’m streaming to my notebook with opensuse runnning.

When I use the windows 10 as host erverything works very fluently. I tested a fast 3D shooter (FEAR) and also GTA V. It’s crazy how well this works and I’m really disappointed that the steam link app for the iPad is not gonna published due Apple restrictions.

But then I booted up the steam os and tried streaming Half Life 2. But I was experiencing artifacts on the steam. Especially when moving fast around.

So is there a difference between windows and Linux using hardware acceleration?
I have an Intel 3770k which supports intel quick sync but I’m not sure if this works for Linux too. The handbrake encoding tool does only support it on windows.
I also have GPU encoding enabled.

Yeah the results are way better when using windows 10 as host instead of steam os?
Is this a known issue.

Thanks for help. Much appreciated.
nox May 27, 2018
Personally my experience is pretty good with linux as the host, so I'm going to agree with you that it's likely due to hardware acceleration.
hihu May 28, 2018
So any suggestions what I could change to make it work more fluently. On both systems I have GPU encoding enabled.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.