Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Remember "Subscribe to comments" selection?
nox Jun 7, 2018
I've been participating in some rather large comment threads recently and due to all the notifications I prefer not being subscribed... But the damn checkbox keeps being on by default, so I always forget to uncheck it.

Would it be possible to add a little cookie that remembers if you toggled it off for a article?
Liam Dawe Jun 7, 2018
It should only tick it, if you're already subscribed to it to keep you subscribed when replying new.

If you unsubscribe from it, it should remove the tick.
nox Jun 7, 2018
Quoting: liamdaweIt should only tick it, if you're already subscribed to it to keep you subscribed when replying new.

Hm, I may not have explained my issue properly.

When commenting on a comment thread I'm not subscribed to the "Subscribe" checkbox is by default checked, even if I've unchecked it multiple times. This is likely by design as people would most likely enjoy getting updates from discussions they participate in.
Liam Dawe Jun 7, 2018
Quoting: nox
Quoting: liamdaweIt should only tick it, if you're already subscribed to it to keep you subscribed when replying new.

When commenting on a comment thread I'm not subscribed to the "Subscribe" checkbox is by default checked, even if I've unchecked it multiple times. This is likely by design as people would most likely enjoy getting updates from discussions they participate in.
Go here.

Untick "Auto subscribe when replying?"
nox Jun 7, 2018
Quoting: liamdawe
Quoting: nox

Go here.

Untick "Auto subscribe when replying?"

I'd love to have auto subscribe on - but I want it to remember when I've deselected it for one specific article. (preferably with a cookie). That's my request.

I'm also okay with being told "No". :D
Liam Dawe Jun 7, 2018
Mmmm maybe, will have to look up the rules that type of functional cookie comes under and see if we have to request consent to use them...GDPR.

Edit: Yup, need consent for those types of cookies heh.

Gonna think on how to best do this, because it's a difficult one outside of the cookie issue anyway - how do we know you've specifically unchecked it like you're wanting here?

I guess for people who have auto sub turned off, this won't affect them at all.

Possibly just detect people who have auto subscribe on, check for a cookie specific to that article, untick if found...
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.