Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
AMD Vega 56 Nano
Arehandoro Jun 22, 2018
Hi all,

I recently bought a monitor with Freesync, thinking of upgrading to AMD from a GTX 970 in the near future. When I decided to get my rig I got an ITX case, Fractal Design Node 304, and according to www.scan.co.uk I would not be able to fit a Vega 56/64 in it.

Fortunately, this year at the Computex PowerColor showed a Nano version of it. Obviously, the clock has been lowered down, though performance seems pretty good nonetheless. There are also rumoured stating Sapphire and even AMD itself might release also Nano versions. The product should be available this month.

However, I don't seem to find it anywhere to buy (UK). Does anyone know anything more about it? Or has seen it somewhere?

Last but not least, is it really worth it upgrading? My rig's around 4 years old, perhaps waiting for another year and do a complete upgrade too?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks!

Info
Shmerl Jun 24, 2018
I think Sapphire Pulse Vega already use PCB in the style of Nano:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=19E343EE-46D4-45E8-9E3E-1693AB30DF14&lang=eng

It's worth upgrading, using Mesa is great today.
Arehandoro Jun 25, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlI think Sapphire Pulse Vega already use PCB in the style of Nano:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=19E343EE-46D4-45E8-9E3E-1693AB30DF14&lang=eng

It's worth upgrading, using Mesa is great today.

Oh, great! Will have a look at it, thanks! :)

Edit: Apparently no, Pulse is 125x50x282mm and the Nano is 95x38x170mm. Although Pulse should be small enough for the case nonetheless.
Shmerl Jun 25, 2018
The card is huge because of the massive heatsink, even if you make a small PCB, Vega needs a lot of heat dissipation. I suspect smaller nanos won't reduce PCB size, but will cut down cooling, making the card run hot.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.