You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
AMD Vega 56 Nano
Arehandoro commented on 22 June 2018 at 8:03 am UTC

Hi all,

I recently bought a monitor with Freesync, thinking of upgrading to AMD from a GTX 970 in the near future. When I decided to get my rig I got an ITX case, Fractal Design Node 304, and according to www.scan.co.uk I would not be able to fit a Vega 56/64 in it.

Fortunately, this year at the Computex PowerColor showed a Nano version of it. Obviously, the clock has been lowered down, though performance seems pretty good nonetheless. There are also rumoured stating Sapphire and even AMD itself might release also Nano versions. The product should be available this month.

However, I don't seem to find it anywhere to buy (UK). Does anyone know anything more about it? Or has seen it somewhere?

Last but not least, is it really worth it upgrading? My rig's around 4 years old, perhaps waiting for another year and do a complete upgrade too?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks!

Info

Shmerl commented on 24 June 2018 at 3:00 pm UTC

I think Sapphire Pulse Vega already use PCB in the style of Nano:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=19E343EE-46D4-45E8-9E3E-1693AB30DF14&lang=eng

It's worth upgrading, using Mesa is great today.

Arehandoro commented on 25 June 2018 at 7:53 am UTC

ShmerlI think Sapphire Pulse Vega already use PCB in the style of Nano:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=19E343EE-46D4-45E8-9E3E-1693AB30DF14&lang=eng

It's worth upgrading, using Mesa is great today.

Oh, great! Will have a look at it, thanks!

Edit: Apparently no, Pulse is 125x50x282mm and the Nano is 95x38x170mm. Although Pulse should be small enough for the case nonetheless.

Shmerl commented on 25 June 2018 at 12:44 pm UTC

The card is huge because of the massive heatsink, even if you make a small PCB, Vega needs a lot of heat dissipation. I suspect smaller nanos won't reduce PCB size, but will cut down cooling, making the card run hot.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • RPGoodness: „Vikings: Wolves of Midgard“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts