Steamsale - Steamlink + controller %95 off
devnull Jun 22, 2018
Didn't know where else to post this. The Steamlink is %95 off ($2.50). Controller is %33 ($33.49).. still not bad. Canadian.

Of course that is ontop of everything else on sale atm. LUL
denyasis Jun 22, 2018
I think they did the same thing for their winter sale last year. I got a set then as a gift.

If you have a decent controller and games that support one, the steam link is a good buy.

The steam controller is a nice idea, but I wouldn't recommend it for use with the steam link. I simply could not get it to work. If you can use it for something else than with the steam link, I think it's a pretty nice controller.
devnull Jun 23, 2018
Quoting: denyasisThe steam controller is a nice idea, but I wouldn't recommend it for use with the steam link. I simply could not get it to work. If you can use it for something else than with the steam link, I think it's a pretty nice controller.

Wait what, it doesn't work with the Steamlink?? How long ago was that?
denyasis Jun 23, 2018
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if my issue is with my setup (Sparky Linux), so take my complaining with a grain of salt.

I last tried it in February. My issue that when I launched a game through the link, the controller's profile would switch back to "desktop". Out of 30+ tries, it only retained the profile once. I got so frustrated, I gave up and haven't tried it since.

On the positive side, the link worked great with mouse and keyboard and the controller works well with my laptop.

I'll have to try it again and see if any of the recent updates have helped.

EDIT:

Just tried it again. The controller still doesn't retain its mapping when launching a game through the link. Although, this is new: When starting the link and connecting to my laptop, the UI is horribly mangled. Only the top 10% of the UI shows on my TV (and at the bottom of the TV too) and my laptop seems to re-scale the UI on its end to the bottom left quarter of my screen. Minimizing and re-opening seems to fix it. Simply having the link on and connected to my laptop is really running the laptop hard too (25% CPU on a 4 yr old laptop).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.