Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Rising World
Jebblue Jul 4, 2018
I recommend doing an article on the excellent game Rising World:

https://forum.rising-world.net/?l=2
g000h Jul 5, 2018
Quoting: JebblueI recommend doing an article on the excellent game Rising World:

https://forum.rising-world.net/?l=2

I'm interested in this title, but I believe some alternatives are as good or better. Noting that Rising World is Early Access, and so it is probably going to improve more over time. I'm looking for similar style open-world games myself, *but* I'm keen on really good graphics and although procedurally-generated sandboxes offer some interesting gaming (e.g. a brand new map every fresh start) they don't tend to have interesting quests or custom-built areas which are fantastic to explore (e.g. games like The Witcher 3, Elder Scrolls Skyrim, etc). I tend to prefer playing this type of game as single-player, i.e. My character surviving against the elements and the enemies/monsters roaming the map.

If you like this type of game (Rising World) have you played / tried these ones? :

Rust - Really like Rust, it is one of the better sandbox games graphically. For me, it runs very nicely on Linux. You can play it in different ways, i.e. As a lone wolf, or co-op teaming up with others. There are servers where the game can be very like Battle Royale PvP gaming, and other servers where it is emptier and you can survive against the elements, build, explore the monuments. Then you can have servers half way between those extremes, where you're always conscious of the possibility of being attacked by other players, but you aren't constantly in threat of that.

7 Days To Die - And another I really like. Not as good-looking as Rust. But, it has a great game-play depth - in particular the crafting and building, and it is more of a proper survival experience. There is a constant threat of zombies (and animals), but this threat is a lot greater during night-time (when you're supposed to return to your base for protection). Again I like playing single player, but co-op is great on this title. You can spend lots of time designing and constructing bases to withstand zombie attacks. Also going out on foraging missions and trying to avoid being attacked while foraging.
Jebblue Jul 7, 2018
I put several hundred hours into Rust but the community is too toxic and no SP (unless it's changed). I told Steam to remove it from my account I got so disgusted with it.

7 Days to Die? Yes hundreds of hours, it's great. The GPS zombies and no ability to build a nice safe lake house like you could do several versions ago (since they fixed the water) keeps me not playing as much.

Rising World is a builder game, no enemies except animal NPC's. You can ride horses now, and I think donkey's and camels.

The desert has pyramid structures to explore.

There's a lot to do already if you're new, just depends what you're looking for. They're adding bandit NPC's. I think it's just one coder, red51 and he may have a little help, amazing what he's achieved so far.
Liam Dawe Jul 7, 2018
If you want a Rust community that isn't toxic, try our community run Rust server which is friendly PvP along with additional PvE elements from mods :)
Jebblue Apr 13, 2019
Quoting: liamdaweIf you want a Rust community that isn't toxic, try our community run Rust server which is friendly PvP along with additional PvE elements from mods :)

Thanks but I went through the procedure to have Valve remove Rust from my Steam account long ago.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.