Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Latest Debian backport for kernel 4.16 broken?
GustyGhost Jul 7, 2018
Backports aren't always 100% in my experience but I would be surprised if something as prominent as the Linux kernel could have had a botched backport without anyone noticing. All I do is apt-get -t stretch-backports install linux-image-amd64 but this time, after doing so, such a system cannot be booted. It just hangs at a point where I cannot even drop to terminal. Ouch.
slaapliedje Jul 7, 2018
Quoting: GustyGhostBackports aren't always 100% in my experience but I would be surprised if something as prominent as the Linux kernel could have had a botched backport without anyone noticing. All I do is apt-get -t stretch-backports install linux-image-amd64 but this time, after doing so, such a system cannot be booted. It just hangs at a point where I cannot even drop to terminal. Ouch.

You use nVidia drivers? The bug is there. They fixed it in 390.67-2 (-2 being the patch where they fixed it)

Or try this in your grub config.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="slab_common.usercopy_fallback=Y"

Then run grub-update.

nvidia-graphics-drivers (390.67-2) unstable; urgency=high

* Add kmem_cache_create_usercopy.patch from Red Hat, fixing "Bad or missing
    usercopy whitelist? Kernel memory exposure attempt detected from SLUB
    object 'nvidia_stack_cache'" on Linux kernels that have disabled
    CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY_FALLBACK (i.e. linux-image-4.16.0-2-* or newer).
    (Closes: #901919)

-- Andreas Beckmann <[email protected]>  Thu, 05 Jul 2018 02:01:31 +0200
GustyGhost Jul 7, 2018
AMDGPU DC is like fusion power. It's always just 10 years from now! (or in this case, the next kernel version from now!). Anyways I'm tired of waiting so I'm just grabbing the newest kernel I can, buggy or not. Oddly, backporting Debian's 4.16 becomes unbootable on Kabini based systems (and on a Celeron based system) but when I boot that drive on Ryzen hardware it works okay begins strobing the display before reaching any login, setting nomodeset is okay, still gets farther than Kabini though.

EDIT_NOT_EDIT: "backporting" unstable's 4.17 is truly running okay for real™ this time; currently testing various functionalities for stability.
Shmerl Jul 8, 2018
I'm using 4.17.3 in Debian testing now - works just fine with Vega 56. My only issue is some segfault in the Wayland session in KDE when the using DisplayPort.
g000h Jul 9, 2018
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: GustyGhostBackports aren't always 100% in my experience but I would be surprised if something as prominent as the Linux kernel could have had a botched backport without anyone noticing. All I do is apt-get -t stretch-backports install linux-image-amd64 but this time, after doing so, such a system cannot be booted. It just hangs at a point where I cannot even drop to terminal. Ouch.

You use nVidia drivers? The bug is there. They fixed it in 390.67-2 (-2 being the patch where they fixed it)

Or try this in your grub config.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="slab_common.usercopy_fallback=Y"

Then run grub-update.

nvidia-graphics-drivers (390.67-2) unstable; urgency=high

* Add kmem_cache_create_usercopy.patch from Red Hat, fixing "Bad or missing
    usercopy whitelist? Kernel memory exposure attempt detected from SLUB
    object 'nvidia_stack_cache'" on Linux kernels that have disabled
    CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY_FALLBACK (i.e. linux-image-4.16.0-2-* or newer).
    (Closes: #901919)

-- Andreas Beckmann <[email protected]>  Thu, 05 Jul 2018 02:01:31 +0200

I've had the same problem myself, but with Debian 10 Buster (testing). The screen-going-blank and then failing to boot any further has been reported as due to Nvidia binary blob driver incompatibilities with the Linux kernel. This happened for me with kernel: linux-image-4.16.0-2

I have been intending to fix the issue properly, but as yet I've "solved" it by going onto my Grub2 menu and selecting the previous kernel: linux-image-4.16.0-1 This one boots up without the problem.

I don't know for sure (because I haven't tried it yet), but THIS command might resolve the problem:
dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms
chui2ch Jul 10, 2018
https://old.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/8vd0k4/kde_broken_after_update_to_plasmadesktop_451251/e1mfq3z/ This link contains the fix for the boot issue on Nvidia driver 390.48 The 390.67 driver does not have the issue with the updated kernel.
GustyGhost Jul 10, 2018
Thanks for all the help, guys. I was able to get some testing done. This is what all the fuss was for.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.