Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Issues with Liberapay - please read if you use it
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Jul 13, 2018
Their payment processor is kicking them off:
https://medium.com/liberapay-blog/liberapay-is-in-trouble-b58b40714d82

If you support us on it, please take note of what they suggest you do. You can either send all money to us (and whoever else you support) instead of it trickling out weekly from your wallet (so we can withdraw it before this happens) or refund it to your bank.

For anyone who does, thank you for supporting us on it - your support has been amazing, for now I suggest moving to Patreon or Flattr if you plan to continue.

Thankfully we aren't reliant on it since it's not a huge amount in total (compared to Patreon), but it's still quite alarming as it has been very helpful.

Personally, I'm not too happy with the folks behind Liberapay who have known about this since the end of May and they decided not to tell people at the time. I understand it's a tough time for them, but they ideally should have alerted everyone sooner than this. Hopefully they find a suitable processor and come back stronger.
Julius Jul 13, 2018
They should see if using GNU Taler https://taler.net with multiple payment processors could work for them.
Salvatos Jul 13, 2018
Quoting: LiberapaySo, we’re changing our approach of recurrent donations. Instead of distributing them weekly we’re going to distribute them as soon as the money arrives. For example, instead of disbursing a payment of €26 for a weekly donation of €0.50 as 52 weekly transfers of €0.50, we’ll do a single transfer of €26 and inform the recipient that it corresponds to “52 weeks of €0.50”.
Uh, what's even the point of that? They'll be switching to one-time donations but show an arbitrary trivia note of how much they represent divided by 52?
Liam Dawe Jul 13, 2018
Mangopay released a small statement:
QuoteMANGOPAY is stopping the collaboration with Liberapay because the platform is not in line with its terms of use. Liberapay has been notified according to our contract engagement, to allow Liberapay to find other suitable payment providers that can serve their services and platform.

For users of Liberapay, all funds are guaranteed to remain in the user’s electronic wallet and will be released to the beneficiaries’ accounts or transfered to Liberapay’s new provider.

MANGOPAY remains at full disposal to Liberapay for any clarification needed.
Being rather unhelpfully vague.
devnull Jul 15, 2018
Kinda curious, are money trasfers possible? I'm assuming it's like this in other places too but in Canada at least, if I know your bank and account number I can make a deposit at any of your branches without an account. Interact - how most people pay at a merchant using debit cards, not to be confused with credit - also has their own electronic transfers using nothing but email.

International transfers are possible too but have extra fees and far from anonymous.
Liam Dawe Jul 15, 2018
Afraid we cannot accept transfers direct to a bank account: When it comes to taxes, if we ever got investigated, we would need to ensure we have some kind of paperwork to prove it's legitimate money for every single person. With services like Patreon, Paypal etc they're already well known and offer statements we can download.
devnull Jul 15, 2018
Quoting: liamdaweAfraid we cannot accept transfers direct to a bank account: When it comes to taxes, if we ever got investigated, we would need to ensure we have some kind of paperwork to prove it's legitimate money for every single person. With services like Patreon, Paypal etc they're already well known and offer statements we can download.

"legitimate money" ? Interesting. No payment processor I'm aware of can make that assertion either. They have little to no interest once the funds have cleared. Essentially this is the standard kind of transaction businesses engage in, it's a chequing account. I can setup a bill payment too with my bank (we call it preauth, ymmv).

Where third party payment processors come in is when you want to stay detached from the entity itself. Typically anonymous but not necessarily (say buying a gift for your wife). The transaction is still a secure bond backed by the processor. Worst case is you treat it like any other cash transaction.

Don't get me wrong, you're certainly free to do as you wish, was more curious.
Liam Dawe Jul 15, 2018
It's probably me just being overly paranoid about it :)
voyageur Jul 16, 2018
Sad news :'( I got the recap email today, I think I have a few weeks worth left there, at least you can still get it all in one (as last hourra).

As for later... we will see how it goes, it will take a few years until Patreon regains my trust, and not really comfortable on Paypal.
Liam Dawe Jul 17, 2018
Thanks for the support :)

There is always Flattr: https://flattr.com/@gamingonlinux never really heard a bad word about them and they currently have no fees on our end it seems too.
Liam Dawe Sep 5, 2018
FYI they now have Stripe hooked up so payments work again. It's all upfront now, so even though it says weekly it dumps it all to us.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.