Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
GNOME Shell bug with windows focus at startup
Creak Jul 23, 2018
Hello!

I'd like to know if some of you have this bug as well.

I got it since.. I don't know.. 3 years? Right now I'm riding Fedora 28, but I had the bug in Fedora 27, 26, 25, 24, and maybe Manjaro and Arch as well... As far as I can remember, I've had this bug (even if I changed my hardware almost completely during this time span).

So, the bug: at startup, once I logged in, I open (manually) a few regular apps (like Firefox, File, or Terminal) and after a few seconds (like if it's the time for GNOME Shell to warm up), the focus is blocked on one window.

First symptom: (and the easiest way to see it) when I throw my cursor in the top-left corner, I can see the blue wavy FX thing, but the dashboard is not displayed.

Second symptom: if I click on another window in the background, It isn't brought to the front. I can Alt-Tab, and the other app comes to the front, but if I click on it, the click is dispatched to the focus-blocked window.

Of course, it doesn't happen all the time, but a good 80% of the time.

Do you have, by any chance, the same bug?
Creak Jul 23, 2018
Just got the bug and recorded it!

Activate the subtitles for more information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkeRec9eiVA

Edit: And I opened a bug in in GNOME's gitlab, if anyone arrive here one day: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/432
Liam Dawe Jul 24, 2018
Curious, what extensions do you have installed?
Creak Jul 24, 2018
Not so much: TopIcons and Sound Inputs and Outputs.

But I have the same issue without any extension.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.