You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
Gaia Sky
mjfa12 commented on 11 August 2018 at 10:09 am UTC

Check out Gaia Sky. https://zah.uni-heidelberg.de/institutes/ari/gaia/outreach/gaiasky/
They have a deb and rpm.
I haven't seen this anywhere on here. This is not a game per se but I didn't know where else to post this. There is a great new release for a piece of software called gaia sky. It is the closest we will get to Space Engine on linux. It is more geared toward astronomy then Universe Sandbox. With Celestia not working anymore, I found this software very fun to explore. If you like space and astronomy check it out. The university deserves a lot of credit for releasing this on linux and keeping it up to date.

Julius commented on 17 August 2018 at 5:10 am UTC

That's pretty cool. I wonder what 3D engine they used... because apparently this supports VR headsets which is still rare as far as open-source engines goes.

mysticx commented on 19 August 2018 at 11:22 am UTC

Thanks for pointing this out, it looks quite nice indeed!

It's a Java-based project using the libGDX game development framework (based on LWJGL). They are supporting OpenVR via LWJGL's bindings. The source code is available here on GitLab.

Julius commented on 19 August 2018 at 4:19 pm UTC

Ah, cool. Thanks for figuring that out.

Actually a pretty cool platform for developing games on. Maybe a Hard SF generation ship simulator rogue like ;)

mjfa12 commented on 23 August 2018 at 9:37 pm UTC

Good find on the source code mysticx. I was wondering the same thing about the engine.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Crawl About: „Paper Sorcerer“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts