Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Huge boost in performance with Nvidia Vulkan beta driver 396.54.05 (and DXVK 0.72)
mao_dze_dun Sep 15, 2018
There seems to be a huge boost in performance for people using the latest Vulkan driver from Nvidia, and especially when combined with DXVK 0.72. Most reports are of a performance comparable to that of a native Linux port, which as we know usually have about 20% of the Windows performance slashed. Some games are as close as 90% of the native Windows performance.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/9fv46l/the_latest_nvidia_vulkan_beta_driver_3965405_is/
Avehicle7887 Sep 16, 2018
I can confirm the performance did increase using those 2 combined, Witcher 3 got about 6-8 fps more using the same settings. Shadow Warrior 2 is running at about 90% the speed of Windows now and for the first time I see some of the *testing* areas with 80 and 90 fps whereas before it was about 66-71 before. The last game I tried is Path of Exile which wasn't affected as much (this probably needs esync to obtain better frames).

I'm currently being picky which Windows games to buy for DXVK, but I'm slowly making exceptions for some Windows-only devs, no pre-orders or full price purchases though.
Xpander Sep 16, 2018
I can confirm huge boost in GTA V 2560x1440, all maxed except AA off,Tesselation off, PostFX Normal.
went from regular 70-90FPS to 90-110 FPS. This is huge. and also GPU utilization is a bit lower now than it was before.
Ryzen 7 1700X, GTX 1070
tuubi Sep 16, 2018
Nice. I assume these are Vulkan driver optimizations that will end up in a proper point release soon, and not just something experimental in the special Vulkan beta.
mao_dze_dun Sep 16, 2018
Quoting: tuubiNice. I assume these are Vulkan driver optimizations that will end up in a proper point release soon, and not just something experimental in the special Vulkan beta.

Oh, yeah. I'm just curious and impatient :D.

Quoting: Avehicle7887I'm currently being picky which Windows games to buy for DXVK, but I'm slowly making exceptions for some Windows-only devs, no pre-orders or full price purchases though.

Shadow of The Tomb Raider with Proton/DXVK 0.72 and 396.54.05 seems to perform with the exact same performance hit when compared to native, as the ROTR port to the Windows version (20%). I am dual booting, so I was getting it anyway, but this is absolutely brilliant for Linux only users. This little piece of news is what actually made me bite the bullet and buy Overwatch from the Humble monthly. Game runs fiiiine.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.