What Happened to the Linux Game Database?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Dragunov Sep 17, 2018
Any one know what happened to the Linux Games Database - lgdb.org? Apparently its been down for over a week, and there hasn't been any activity on their twitter account since 2011.

I'm really curious because that was one of my favorite linux websites, second only to GOL.
GustyGhost Sep 17, 2018
There are so many Linux games now, maybe it got to be too much work to maintain?
razing32 Sep 17, 2018
that;s sad
Think i found a few cute ones back in the day
Ehvis Sep 17, 2018
I remember that in the "early" days, I went to HappyPenguin to see what was going on in Linux gaming. When that died I frequently checked the additions in LGDB. The rise of steam seems to have been problematic and instead of more games being added, it became fewer and fewer. That resulted in me checking for other sites and that's when I found GoL.
Liam Dawe Sep 17, 2018
I guess this might push me towards reviving our game database then, which powers our sales page and free games page.
slaapliedje Sep 17, 2018
Quoting: EhvisI remember that in the "early" days, I went to HappyPenguin to see what was going on in Linux gaming. When that died I frequently checked the additions in LGDB. The rise of steam seems to have been problematic and instead of more games being added, it became fewer and fewer. That resulted in me checking for other sites and that's when I found GoL.
This was pretty much my exact experience too.

Now with all the things Valve has been doing with Proton and SteamVR, I am REALLY close to not needing to reboot (Elite: Dangerous is one of the few holding me back...)
Dragunov Nov 7, 2018
Well it looks like the Linux Game Database is gone for good. I'm having trouble finding places to discover new linux games other than GOL, Steam, and GOG. I've tried looking at itch.io but there is so much garbage on there that its hard to sort through all of the bad games and find the hidden gems.
Pikolo Nov 7, 2018
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: EhvisI remember that in the "early" days, I went to HappyPenguin to see what was going on in Linux gaming. When that died I frequently checked the additions in LGDB. The rise of steam seems to have been problematic and instead of more games being added, it became fewer and fewer. That resulted in me checking for other sites and that's when I found GoL.
This was pretty much my exact experience too.

Now with all the things Valve has been doing with Proton and SteamVR, I am REALLY close to not needing to reboot (Elite: Dangerous is one of the few holding me back...)

Apparently Wine 3.19 has fixed Elite: Dangerous, you might soon be able to stop booting Windows for it!
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/150#issuecomment-436162490
Proton binaries with Wine 3.19 patches cherry picked
GustyGhost Nov 16, 2018
QuoteWell it looks like the Linux Game Database is gone for good. I'm having trouble finding places to discover new linux games other than GOL, Steam, and GOG. I've tried looking at itch.io but there is so much garbage on there that its hard to sort through all of the bad games and find the hidden gems.

Itch.io is a test of personal tolerance in that on the one hand, they do so much good with a fully free client and bazaar-style hosting. While on the other, this allows for ludicrous amounts of crap to go up on itch.
tonR Nov 17, 2018
Quoting: GustyGhost
QuoteWell it looks like the Linux Game Database is gone for good. I'm having trouble finding places to discover new linux games other than GOL, Steam, and GOG. I've tried looking at itch.io but there is so much garbage on there that its hard to sort through all of the bad games and find the hidden gems.

Itch.io is a test of personal tolerance in that on the one hand, they do so much good with a fully free client and bazaar-style hosting. While on the other, this allows for ludicrous amounts of crap to go up on itch.
As itch.io semi-regular user, I agree.

While Slipstream, Tacoma and some other great games are available on itch.io; there are also tons of no so good Visual Novels and many of games I consider it as much worse than terrible-made flash games, exist on itch.io too.

But hey, we got "Liam's Linux Gaming™" 'fansite' for latest news/release on Linux games right?

p/s: I'm sorry Liam :D
Jastiv Feb 7, 2019
Yeah, I'm really curious where people go for gaming recommendations these days. Is it really just this site, Steam, GOG, and itch.io?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.