You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
A bootable Linux ISO/USB that auto-loads from a 2nd USB
Luke_Nukem Sep 19, 2018
Hi all.

Cross post

This is something I had been working on for a long while, and only just got around to completing - a USB bootable Linux install that boots directly to Attract Mode, and loads/saves configs, roms, art etc from a second USB drive.

The short of it is:
- write iso to USB drive,
- format another USB drive with a partition named 'arcade_usb'
- copy your complete setup to the above drive partition (see example
- Attract Mode setup is expected to be in the attractmode directory
- insert both sticks and boot

NOTE: You can yank the arcade_usb stick out (which stops Attract Mode), tinker with stuff on it on another computer, then stick it back in (Attract Mode will start again with new settings etc).

---
Hardware:

CPU must be 64bit!

It *should* work with almost anything provided it supports decent OpenGL levels required by the SFML lib AM uses. I provide two ISO's; one with previous gen of Nvidia support, and one for current gen - both ISO's should support Intel and AMD/ATi without issue.

The hardware I run this on at the moment with great success is:
- AMD Athlon 64,
- 512Mb of RAM,
- Nvidia 8600GT
and shaders work very well in AM and in Mame using bgfx. I do get some slow-down on this hardware with more complex themes or ones that try to display a whole lot of video snaps at once.

---
Installing:

If you are experienced with Linux, you can install this ISO to the local HDD of the machine you want it on, there are two scripts to help get you through; installer, and install-arcade. install-arcade (WIP!) will nuke the HDD and install the ISO unguided, whereas installer will do it with your help.

NOTE: The ISO's don't include EFI boot as of yet, so booting and installing will be old-fashioned BIOS style for now.

NOTE: Feedback is welcomed. For issues though, please create them on Gitlab, or if you don't have an account on there PM me and I'll add the issue.

---
Links:

Gitlab project

Pre-built ISO's

Main README.md

arcade_usb setup example

Theme in photo and in examples is the excellent flat_blue

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.