Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Distro hop
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
s8as8a Sep 23, 2018
Actually, from the link you gave, you can find ISOs that include the proprietary stuff by default.:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/9.5.0-live+nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/

(Personally, I'd rather have all the proprietary stuff stripped out and then choose which proprietary software, if any, to install, but some hardware, including network hardware may need such firmware to work.)
s8as8a Sep 23, 2018
Oops! You pasted that same URL, but for some reason, right clicking and choosing to open the link in a new tab didn't point to that exact location.

You want a .iso file, the amd64 architecture, and then you choose which desktop environment you want.

So, if you want Cinanamon, then you'd choose.:
debian-live-9.5.0-amd64-cinnamon+nonfree.iso

The live ISOs are like Ubuntu's non-server installers, if I'm correct.
Avehicle7887 Sep 23, 2018
I find Debian 9 (Stable) rock solid for my needs, the software isn't bleeding edge but it's modern enough and it has a large repo. My typical usage is for compiling (mainly Wine and some open source games), music/video editing (Audacity/Kdenlive) and of course gaming, I'm also running VMWare Player with Debian 9 32bit for compiling.

The Nvidia drivers from the official website's .run packages can be installed without problems, I'm currently using 396.54.06.

I like it because of the flexibility and it's easy to create a full offline repo from the ISO's (The PC it's installed on isn't always connected to internet). It's currently installed on system with an Intel G4560 with GT1030 GPU.

Some things are a bit more complicated to setup when compared to Ubuntu/Mint, personally I see it as a good thing as it pushed me to learn more.
razing32 Sep 23, 2018
Quoting: s8as8aOops! You pasted that same URL, but for some reason, right clicking and choosing to open the link in a new tab didn't point to that exact location.

You want a .iso file, the amd64 architecture, and then you choose which desktop environment you want.

So, if you want Cinanamon, then you'd choose.:
debian-live-9.5.0-amd64-cinnamon+nonfree.iso

The live ISOs are like Ubuntu's non-server installers, if I'm correct.

Sure.
Will give them a look.
BTW , any issues with steam or gog games on debian ? or do they just "work" ?
Any issues running wine with steam or older games ?
EDIT:
Also discord ? how is that ?
razing32 Sep 23, 2018
Quoting: Avehicle7887I find Debian 9 (Stable) rock solid for my needs, the software isn't bleeding edge but it's modern enough and it has a large repo. My typical usage is for compiling (mainly Wine and some open source games), music/video editing (Audacity/Kdenlive) and of course gaming, I'm also running VMWare Player with Debian 9 32bit for compiling.

The Nvidia drivers from the official website's .run packages can be installed without problems, I'm currently using 396.54.06.

I like it because of the flexibility and it's easy to create a full offline repo from the ISO's (The PC it's installed on isn't always connected to internet). It's currently installed on system with an Intel G4560 with GT1030 GPU.

Some things are a bit more complicated to setup when compared to Ubuntu/Mint, personally I see it as a good thing as it pushed me to learn more.

Bleeding edge is not something I need tbh. I just liked Arch as I could customize my system from the ground up and install only what I needed.

So what do you recommend ? Nvidia from repo or official site ?

I don't mind complicated as long as I can do it once and forget about it. The last thing I want is a library update breaking my games when I am in the least mood to troubleshoot it.

If wine works good I am happy , have some Wine games I play with my windows friends.
s8as8a Sep 23, 2018
I haven't used Gog, but Steam works well, without any issues that I have noticed. (Steam is available via the repositories.)

I'd recommend the nvidia-driver package from stable, and if that's not good enough (which it should be), I recommend the nvidia-driver package from stable-backports; I personally don't recommend installing drivers from upstream. (My recommendation is not based on it being easier to install via the repositories, which it is that too, I believe.)

One problem I had encountered that may still not have been fixed is the steam-devices package (software for making Steam Controller work - as well as the HTC Vice, I think, but I'm not sure) not making the Steam Controller working properly without one modifying udev rules. (Linux 4.18 and newer may change that, though, but I haven't tested anything (on my second Debian installation, which runs Debian testing) because I'm too busy.)

My Xbox 360 controller works perfectly, though.

Wine also works really well, at least in my experience. (I don't use Wine a lot.)

I don't use Discord, so I can't really give you any good information regarding that.
Avehicle7887 Sep 23, 2018
Quoting: razing32Will give them a look.
EDIT:

I don't know about Steam but any GOG game I tried works perfectly for me. Wine gaming also works great. Discord works too.

As for nvidia drivers I usually go like this:

Switch to TTY#
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo ./nvidia_xxx.run
Installation is a straightforward ok > yes > yes > yes...etc.
sudo reboot

With Debian distros I've used this procedure for almost 5 years now, no issues.
s8as8a Sep 24, 2018
Quoting: Avehicle7887
Quoting: razing32Will give them a look.
EDIT:

I don't know about Steam but any GOG game I tried works perfectly for me. Wine gaming also works great. Discord works too.

As for nvidia drivers I usually go like this:

Switch to TTY#
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo ./nvidia_xxx.run
Installation is a straightforward ok > yes > yes > yes...etc.
sudo reboot

With Debian distros I've used this procedure for almost 5 years now, no issues.
About the run file method for installing the nvidia driver, if I'm correct, that doesn't automatically update itself, right? Also, there may be issues with "cruft" accumulating over the years from updating.

If one insists on using the run file method, perhaps it can be combined with checkinstall (to have the benefits of both, except for the automatic updating)?
s8as8a Sep 24, 2018
Also, to razing32, I recall having to have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with the following text in it (or something similar to it, but the exact text below should work).:
Section "Device"
Identifier "MyNvidiaGpu"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Sorry for not having mentioned this before; I had forgotten about it. (Also, for what it's worth, for AMD, I need to install firmware-amd-graphics for it to work properly; I had also forgotten about that, so sorry about that too.)
razing32 Sep 25, 2018
Quoting: s8as8aAlso, to razing32, I recall having to have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with the following text in it (or something similar to it, but the exact text below should work).:
Section "Device"
Identifier "MyNvidiaGpu"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Sorry for not having mentioned this before; I had forgotten about it. (Also, for what it's worth, for AMD, I need to install firmware-amd-graphics for it to work properly; I had also forgotten about that, so sorry about that too.)

Thanks for the heads up.
I will probably do the install during the weekend or early next week so not urgent.
Wanted to gather as much info as possible before.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.