You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
Why some games have distorted audio?
Comandante Ñoñardo commented on 18 October 2018 at 3:21 am UTC

I mean, there is audio, but with clicks and tics..
With some games, it happen at the beginning and with other games, it happen after few hours of gameplay..

On Proton, I have this problem with Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 and Borderlands after few hours of gameplay.....

The GOG version of Metro 2033 Redux running via Crossover 18 with DXVK installed has this audio problem at the beginning.

rcgamer commented on 18 October 2018 at 3:24 am UTC

I don't know the why but using xact through winetricks has fixed it for me in games with those problems.

Comandante Ñoñardo commented on 18 October 2018 at 6:26 pm UTC

In Crossover 18, I solved the audio issue of Metro 2033 Redux installing the pack "DirectX for modern games" and then, doing a DLL override in the Crossover wine config with "Xaudio_2_7 (native,builtin)..
The Dll override can also be done editing carefully the user.reg file of the gameprefix with text editor.

[Software\\Wine\\DllOverrides] "xaudio2_6"="native,builtin" "xaudio2_7"="native,builtin"

The only problem with the Metro games running via Crossover is that the "esc" key and "alt+F4" don't work when you want to quit the game..

Patola commented on 19 October 2018 at 10:53 pm UTC

Why do you run Metro 2033 Redux in Crossover since there is a Linux version?

Comandante Ñoñardo commented on 20 October 2018 at 1:00 am UTC

PatolaWhy do you run Metro 2033 Redux in Crossover since there is a Linux version?
Because the Linux version is steam exclusive and is broken, meanwhile the Windows version is DRMFREE and looks better.
Vsync doesn't work and You can not even choose the screen resolution in the Linux version and the resolution used by the game doesn't fit with the screen.. It seems they made the Linux port it from the PS4 version and the game cannot detect properly the screen resolution.
Even if You manually modify the user.cfg file, the game will revert it to the wrong default value..

Shmerl commented on 21 October 2018 at 1:36 am UTC

What is your version of openal? It could be this.

Comandante Ñoñardo commented on 21 October 2018 at 4:37 am UTC

ShmerlWhat is your version of openal? It could be this.
According to the console tool Openal-info, this is what I have:

Available playback devices: Audio Interno Estéreo analógico GM204 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI) Available capture devices: Monitor of Audio Interno Estéreo analógico Monitor of GM204 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI) Default playback device: Audio Interno Estéreo analógico Default capture device: Audio Interno Estéreo analógico ALC version: 1.1 ** Info for device "Audio Interno Estéreo analógico" ** ALC version: 1.1 ALC extensions: ALC_ENUMERATE_ALL_EXT, ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT, ALC_EXT_CAPTURE, ALC_EXT_DEDICATED, ALC_EXT_disconnect, ALC_EXT_EFX, ALC_EXT_thread_local_context, ALC_SOFTX_device_clock, ALC_SOFTX_HRTF, ALC_SOFT_loopback, ALC_SOFTX_midi_interface, ALC_SOFT_pause_device OpenAL vendor string: OpenAL Community OpenAL renderer string: OpenAL Soft OpenAL version string: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.16.0 OpenAL extensions: AL_EXT_ALAW, AL_EXT_DOUBLE, AL_EXT_EXPONENT_DISTANCE, AL_EXT_FLOAT32, AL_EXT_IMA4, AL_EXT_LINEAR_DISTANCE, AL_EXT_MCFORMATS, AL_EXT_MULAW, AL_EXT_MULAW_MCFORMATS, AL_EXT_OFFSET, AL_EXT_source_distance_model, AL_LOKI_quadriphonic, AL_SOFT_block_alignment, AL_SOFT_buffer_samples, AL_SOFT_buffer_sub_data, AL_SOFT_deferred_updates, AL_SOFT_direct_channels, AL_SOFT_loop_points, AL_SOFT_MSADPCM, AL_SOFT_source_latency, AL_SOFT_source_length EFX version: 1.0 Max auxiliary sends: 4 Supported filters: Low-pass, High-pass, Band-pass Supported effects: EAX Reverb, Reverb, Chorus, Distortion, Echo, Flanger, Ring Modulator, Compressor, Equalizer, Dedicated Dialog, Dedicated LFE

Shmerl commented on 21 October 2018 at 4:38 am UTC

This looks like 1.16, so it shouldn't be affected by a bug in 1.19.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts