Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Radeon / PBA / Gallium
Momentum Nov 17, 2018
Hello. I am thinking about buying new GPU. Have some questions...
Currently I have GTX 760 with i7-2600K at 4.1 GHz.
First of all I am interested in Radeon performance in dx9 games. Is Gallium Nine still relevant? Is PBA works fine on Radeon? I know everything should be ok with DXVK but I spend most of my gaming time in some dx9 MMOs or old games there DXVK is not an option. Can't really imagine my gaming without PBA now...
And another question about GPU itself. Is "MSI RX 570/580 ARMOR 8G OC" good option?
Currently in my local store "MSI RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC" cost 185 € and "MSI RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC" cost 230 €. Is it worth to pay more for 580?
Momentum Nov 17, 2018
As I said,
QuoteI spend most of my gaming time in some dx9 MMOs or old games there DXVK is not an option
So I am really interested in PBA on Radeon and current state of Gallium Nine. I know how to use wine/staging/dxvk...
And yes, I prefer Asus aswell but there is no RX 570 Asus with 8G in my local store.
tuxintuxedo Nov 17, 2018
I had to look up what PBA means. For me it seems the project was abandoned. With how fast Wine is progressing lately, I wouldn't count on PBA working well with it in its current prototype stage.
Avehicle7887 Nov 17, 2018
While DXVK has taken the spotlight this year, PBA still has some uses for DX9 games and it still works in modern Wine versions, performance is mostly visible in CPU-intensive games (such as Guild Wars 2).

Does PBA work on Radeon? I don't own an AMD card but I can say it works on Mesa with Intel so most likely it does on AMD too.
Does PBA work with Gallium Nine? As far as I know PBA helps WineD3D and G9 doesn't use WineD3d, so G9+PBA wouldn't work.

OP didn't mention eSync but I'll list it just in case: Does eSync work with Gallium Nine? In theory it should, eSync is a different beast and it isn't linked to any graphics implementations.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.