Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
[DONE] Re thinking categories
Liam Dawe Jul 2, 2013
Okay folks I need feedback on this, I want to re-do the categories system to have one top level category and then multiple tags, I think it would be the best way to do it.

So all the categories and tags would be the same, you would have a drop down list to select the main one, then a checkbox list of them all again to select additional ones.
  • Editorial

• Competition

• Crowdfunding

• First Look

• Interview

• Game Bundle

• Game Sale

• New Release

• Wine

• Coming Soon

• Free Game

• Unity3D

• Desura

• Steam

• Gameolith

• Review

• etc

Which would also be useful for the drop down category view. Then inside each article would be a list of tags it's under.

So we could then have tags for game genre's and other things.
Alex V.Sharp Jul 2, 2013
Then wouldn't it be better to have only a tag-based system? I mean, for example, if an article is tagged with "MMO", "Indie (Game)", "Interview" and "game's name" that would already make it findable or easy to filter out. Is there a reason to have a classic main categorisation atop of that? 
Liam Dawe Jul 2, 2013
Yeah I think I will just do fully tag system so no categories on the front page, when you visit an article it gives you a list.
Liam Dawe Jul 2, 2013
Just an update on this as most of you went to bed.

It is mostly complete, left todo user-side:
Search page
  • Add limiting searching by selecting tags

• Add tags to each article row? (list the tags on each row found)

Home Page
  • List tags? (Not sure as some articles may have lots of tags would clog it up?)

Feel free to go to the test site and play with it.

Of course after all this we then need to edit every single article to add the tags in heh.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.