You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Logitech G13 configuration
viirin Jan 18, 2019
I'm trying to get my Logitech G13 working well - I've got 2 different drivers that I'm able to get working, but both have problems...

The first I tried was https://github.com/Tetz95/linux-g13-driver:

This one works pretty well, except that it doesn't seem to support key combination mapping (So, for example, I couldn't map G1 to "L CTRL + 1")

On the other hand, this one does a pretty great job with the thumb stick, which functions smoothly.

Which brings me to the other driver - https://github.com/ecraven/g13

Conversely, this one supports key combination mappings, but the default config of the thumb stick is awful - there's dead zones that make it not function smoothly at all.

So I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone use the ecraven/g13 driver that has figured out how to set the stickzones for smooth control?
2. Is there some other driver out there that I haven't found that will do both of these things that I'm looking for?
Ehvis Jan 18, 2019
Looking at the code for g13_stick.cc it all seems pretty basic. Looks like the stick can operate as a joystick or mapped to cursors/page up/page down. The first seems pretty direct unless calibration is done. Don't see anything for a deadzone though. If your problem is with the mapping to keys, then the detection zones are defined starting line 35. Should be easy enough to mess with those.
viirin Jan 18, 2019
Ehvis - Thanks so much for looking into that for me. I didn't know about the pageup/pagedown zones and that was throwing me off. I still am pretty bad at visualizing the coordinates and how they affect the stick, but I was able to modify it based off what they had in the code there already so that I'm getting smooth movement in my game now when using the stick (just like I was in the other driver).

Can't thank you enough, really happy to have this working!
Noahoscar986 Feb 20, 2019
Agree with Ehvis
Sean_Farley Oct 3, 2019
Viirin

Please can you explain how you are getting the stick to work smoothly?
I have a dead zone up and down if i push all the way forward or back. characters move if i dont push all the way but this this not helpful in the middle of a WoW combat situation. left and right and diagonal strafing all work fine just up down.

Thanks
Sean
viirin Oct 3, 2019
Hey Sean,

Basically the thing that throws off the stick is that you've got these 2 zones defined in g13_stick.cc by default:

add_zone( "PAGEUP", 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.1 );
add_zone( "PAGEDOWN", 0.0, 0.9, 1.0, 1.0 );

I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but as I recall I deleted those 2 lines from that file and made slight alterations to the up and down zones - I had a tough time with the coordinates at the time - but if I'm reading their explanation right, this is what you want for the sort of control you are looking for in an MMO.

add_zone( "UP", 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.3 );
add_zone( "DOWN", 0.0, 0.7, 1.0, 1.0 );
add_zone( "LEFT", 0.0, 0.0, 0.2, 1.0 );
add_zone( "RIGHT", 0.8, 0.0, 1.0, 1.0 );
Sean_Farley Oct 8, 2019
Hey viirin

Thanks for your reply. I have done what you recommended above however i still have the problem with UP mapped in wow to W and DOWN mapped to S, my charecter moved one step only i either up or down then stops, if i press the stick all the way. If i hold back and push half way it moves fine - until or unless i push stick all the way then the character stops.

Any suggestions what else i can try? is it the co-ordinates that are the problem do you think?

Sean
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.