Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
Text color is too bright in dark theme
hagabaka commented on 6 February 2019 at 8:41 pm UTC

In the dark theme, most text is in plain white (#fff), which makes it a little hard on the eyes. I suggest using a light gray color, especially for paragraphs. You can see the same practice on Steam's website for example. Even the default theme on this site doesn't use plain black text, but a dark gray.

Also, the "Create Post" button in the dark theme has blue text on a slightly different blue background.

Ehvis commented on 6 February 2019 at 9:53 pm UTC

The blue text is also not particularly pleasant on the eyes.

liamdawe commented on 6 February 2019 at 11:40 pm UTC

No worries, tomorrow night I shall make some improvements.

Feel free to note more down here.

Xpander commented on 7 February 2019 at 12:53 am UTC

Don't change it.. or well if you do please keep the current one. i like blue text and the white is fine on the dark also. i guess it all depends how your monitor is configured

stan commented on 7 February 2019 at 6:31 pm UTC

I didn’t want to complain but I agree, I also found the text to be too bright and the background too dark.

tuubi commented on 7 February 2019 at 9:37 pm UTC

stanI didn’t want to complain but I agree, I also found the text to be too bright and the background too dark.
I don't mind if Liam decides to make the text a bit less bright, but I'm perfectly happy with how dark the background is right now. I don't think we should completely butcher the dark theme. Some of us have been using and loving it as it is for quite a while after all. Also, what's the point of a dark theme that isn't dark?

Maybe what some of you want is a third, separate low-contrast theme? Not sure Liam's up for it though.

liamdawe commented on 8 February 2019 at 11:16 am UTC

I've fixed the blue new post button on the dark theme.

I've also adjusted the text, it's not so blinding white now while still being very clear to read longer paragraphs.

Xpander commented on 8 February 2019 at 11:24 am UTC

liamdaweI've fixed the blue new post button on the dark theme.

I've also adjusted the text, it's not so blinding white now while still being very clear to read longer paragraphs.

Thanks, i was afraid that you might go with too much tweaking. Currently its nice. small adjustment made it a bit better (i liked the way it was before also). I just wouldn't like if you changed the blacks too much. I like it as dark as possible

liamdawe commented on 8 February 2019 at 11:26 am UTC

Xpander
liamdaweI've fixed the blue new post button on the dark theme.

Thanks, i was afraid that you might go with too much tweaking. Currently its nice. small adjustment made it a bit better (i liked the way it was before also). I just wouldn't like if you changed the blacks too much. I like it as dark as possible
Yeah, I wouldn't do anything massive because it's mostly good. The white text, however, was absolutely too big a contrast so it's been toned down around two levels. It's not a lot, but it is a big improvement and I wanted to do it for a while but kept forgetting. Much nicer on the eyes now overall.

Ehvis commented on 8 February 2019 at 12:12 pm UTC

The blue still looks too dark to me. Not enough contrast with the background and too much with the rest of the text. The Steam site actually has a pretty nice blue shade for a dark background.

Also, the tags and share buttons on the article page pop out as the most important thing on the page. Those could be toned down a bit.

Personally I do think the whole background is too dark for day time use. Where I sit right now there is very little contrast between the boxes itself. Of course this isn't helped by having several PDFs open across my screens.

stan commented on 8 February 2019 at 8:37 pm UTC

Thanks for the change of text colour Liam, it’s more comfortable now! Also the background is fine (even if you didn’t tweak it, I guess now that the text is darker it’s ok for my eyes ).

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Turn Around: „Shadowrun: Dragonfall“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts