EA's 'Fortnite' rival wins 10 million gamers in three days
stretch611 Feb 9, 2019
The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy; but it sure is nice to see them hurt each other.

If the previous line isn't clear enough, I have a strong hatred of EA. (well not in the 8-bit era when I loved it; but they did a ton of anti-consumer moves since then to destroy all goodwill and more.)

It turns out that EA recently released a game called Apex Legends which is a battle royale game designed to compete against Fortnite and PUBG. Within 3 days it signed up over 10 million accounts. (Videogame review website Eurogamer said it had taken Fortnite about two weeks to hit the 10-million-player mark.)

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-electronic-arts-apex-legends/eas-fortnite-rival-wins-10-million-gamers-in-three-days-idUSKCN1PX2GS

QuoteThe number of gamers playing “Apex Legends” had crossed 10 million and there were about 1 million gamers logged on at the same time, EA said late on Thursday. As of Friday, the game was the most viewed on gaming live-streaming network Twitch.

Now, I'm no fan of Epic or EA. (Though I admit that similar to lejimster, I used to like Epic in the 90's during the shareware years.) But it would be enjoyable to see if EA can poke out the eyballs of Epic's cash cow. Hopefully in doing so Epic might not have the wads of cash in order to be able to buy "exclusives" from developers.

That being said, I would like to see more competition in game stores... But for me that competition includes Linux; and it excludes anti-consumer behavior like exclusive content.
Ehvis Feb 9, 2019
It's not about whether they can get people to try a free game. It's about whether they can keep them and make them spend money.
Liam Dawe Feb 10, 2019
I think Fortnite has needed some decent competition for a while so it's interesting to follow.

Especially interesting as Epic won't have the money to keep pulling exclusive the more people move onto other games. Fortnite won't be a cashcow forever.
tonR Feb 12, 2019
Semi-off-topic
First, thank you EA..... Not for Apex Legends, but exposing/seperating whose the "shills" and whose the "journalists"..

Thanks to EA's Apex Legends, it is now exposing some game journalists who supports, almost to reach borderline advertising/promoting, "that pro-devs client" as great competition to break the "monopoly".....as fucking hypocrite!!! (So sorry for the language).

Instead of harping the typical "competiton is good" mantra, these some journalists criticized EA as try making profit from battle royale popularity. And I dare to say this, some of them are the same people who doubting on anything related to Linux gaming. I'm huge fan on some of them, not anymore today thanks to EA.

Finding accurate info/news about Linux gaming via web searching is still hard. I appreciate all the work GoL done for Linux gaming news, regardless positive or negative news coverage. Just embarrassingly I'm not afford to financially support you guys.

I do not hating any reporters or journalists. I just hating paid-shill and astroturfing. That's my personal believed.

Thank You Liam, BTRE, Sin, and many others here..
MintedGamer Feb 12, 2019
I dislike Epic/Tim Sweeney more than EA so this is great news. I think it was inevitable, Fortnite was the flavour of the month and is now stale, and the users will leave and follow the crowd to the next game as fast as they came.

Tim Sweeneys comments on twitter are unbelievably hypocritical, he finger-points a lot and implements worse practices than those he is criticising.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.