Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Breaking: The text of Article 13 and the EU Copyright Directive has just been finalised
stretch611 Feb 14, 2019
While I am a citizen and resident of the US and this theoretically does not apply to me, it truly scares the hell out of me.

https://juliareda.eu/2019/02/eu-copyright-final-text/

Horrible upload filters.

QuoteReproducing more than “single words or very short extracts” of news stories will require a licence.
And with that quote, I would be violating the law once it goes into effect.
QuoteNo exceptions are made even for services run by individuals, small companies or non-profits

Read the article... And it is time to call all your elected officials to kill the related articles. (assuming you live in the EU.)
Salvatos Feb 14, 2019
Maybe after governments thoroughly cripple the Internet, force content-hosting platforms like YouTube to reject copyrighted content and drive people to stop interacting with copyrighted content altogether and turn to permissively-licensed content instead, the corporate lobbies behind those laws will realize that they killed their own business.
Or not.
Liam Dawe Feb 14, 2019
Quoting: SalvatosMaybe after governments thoroughly cripple the Internet, force content-hosting platforms like YouTube to reject copyrighted content and drive people to stop interacting with copyrighted content altogether and turn to permissively-licensed content instead, the corporate lobbies behind those laws will realize that they killed their own business.
Or not.
This is what I am hoping. The people making these laws are in for a MASSIVE shock on just how far they will be fucking up the internet for everyone.

Some massive sites may end up just entirely blocking the EU and I have no doubts things like that will quickly make people change their minds.
stretch611 Feb 15, 2019
These articles have horrible consequences for Gaming On Linux and a vast majority of other websites too.

I admit that with Brexit, I really am not sure what the impact of these articles would be on a UK-based website. (I guess no one will really know until an actual deal is reached on how the UK leaves the EU.)

But there are potentially bad circumstances, because every link to an article is a financial liability on the website. Every quote from an article is also a potential liability even if it is user generated. That could mean a lot of money that needs to be paid out for a website like this in the EU that links to stories on other websites.

It also means that a website will need to add content filters that search for copyright infringement being uploaded or be held liable. Even if paying for upload filters, a website can be held financially liable if copyright-able content makes it on to the website and a court deems the steps taken by the website (with or without the upload filters) were not adequate.

That potentially means that any screenshot of a copyrighted game can be considered infringement, and this (or a different) website be held financially accountable. While a game developer/publisher is unlikely to go to court over a few screenshots on a review website; (after all, it is free publicity,) that attitude is quickly reversed if there are any negative or disparaging comments about their game. (e.g. A company will quickly claim copyright over screenshots if they have a negative review in order to remove the bad publicity.) And remember, this can happen even if it is an end-user of the website making the bad comments, not necessarily the website owner.

So, yes, a lot of bad ju-ju for these articles if they are ever instated.
Liam Dawe Feb 15, 2019
In reality, it should never affect us as we're such a tiny website. The EU themselves said it's mainly aimed at the big ones which often do take the piss a bit.

Still, it's scary stuff with the way it's worded as the wording would put us under the rules since we've been in operating for years.
dvd Feb 15, 2019
Quoting: GuestWhat this will do is make it easier for big corporations to target sites like Piratebay, and for governments to easily censor out alternative news sites who they consider a threat, like davidicke.com or infowars, without a court order.
It's the next stepping stone to full censorship.

I agree that publishers have long held the false view that piracy reduces their profits.

However, your point on censorship makes no sense. There are much easier ways to obstruct those fringe sites than inventing some copyright directives. Censorship of them isn't effective at all anyway. Buying, reconfigurating or closing them is much more effective-
Koopacabras Feb 16, 2019
all in all in this tug-of-war between governments and tech companies, I'm on the side of the companies, if you don't like google to mine/store your data you can go to amazon or alibaba cloud, or any other company, with governments usually the choice is very limited like we say in spanish, between Guatemala or Guatepeor ( between bad or worse).
stretch611 Feb 16, 2019
I know in theory, it shouldn't affect sites like this because it isn't targetted; however, it is not specifically excluded either.

Here on the other side of the pond in the USA, we have the DMCA. Among other things, it does limit websites liability for uploaded user content provided that they abide by the regulation of a takedown system.

While a human is intended to be in the process and things like fair use are supposed to be allowed, the large copyright holders have pretty much automated the whole process, ignoring fair use, affecting tiny blogs that no one reads all the way up to Google/Youtube and other huge websites. Not only is fair use blatantly ignored, but sometimes the automated web crawling searching for copyright abuse has used single keywords as a basis for copyright abuse in spite of no infringing content whatsoever. It has also been used to quell bad online reviews.

Top 3 Copyright ‘Owners’ Sent Google a Billion Takedown Requests
Scammers Hit Pirate Game Sites With ‘Irreversible’ Google Takedowns

Also, as for not targeting small businesses...
From Torrent Freak's article on the new rules:
QuoteLast September’s version of Article 13 excluded small businesses, but that’s no longer the case.

If a service is publicly available for less than three years, with fewer than five million unique visitors per month, and an annual turnover of less than €10 million, only then it is excluded.

This means that only small startups will not be bound by the new rules. These companies will still have to do their best to obtain licenses from rightsholders. However, they will not be forced to prevent infringing content from being re-uploaded.

tl:dr In short, don't expect to avoid being hit by this just because you are not the intended target. Many things that were not targeted by the USA's DMCA laws have been hit, and in many cases intentionally. Corporations will abuse this system as well as long as they can get away with it.
dvd Feb 16, 2019
Well i fully expect "copyright" law to be used for corporate skulduggery. I personally do not like the concept of copyright as it is at all, as i think it is one small factor that contributes to inequality. The EU has incredible inequalities between regions, for example a full game worth of 60 eurs might be pocket change for someone from Germany or the UK, whereas in other countries that is all the money that some people have to eat for a month from.

My comment above was my reaction toward the sentiment from slimithy that this will be used as some great tool of political censure, as it is a really common meme on youtube and among internet users. This is a would be a very weak and ineffective method. In my country nigh all the media has been transferred under government control. While the law was totally scrapped too, the media takeover happened with control of state ads and with the help of foreign businessmen. All these papers were transferred to 3-4 oligarchs, whom recently transferred them to the state. They now function as propaganda along with the public radio/TV stations.
Koopacabras Feb 19, 2019
so in Spain there is no more news.google.com since a long time, this goes in the same direction,
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/enrique-dans/google-news-leaving-spain_b_6325244.html

now the EU is also targetting android, and google said that they probably will have to charge for android license and google apps.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/16/17984074/google-eu-android-licensing-bundle-chrome-search

I agree monopolies are not good for economy but's that's not the way to tackle this, crippling and punishing google, you need to incentive other companies. the analogy would be crippling Messi or Barcelona because they simply win too much, it's just stupid. the way to do it, is promoting/incentivize smaller clubs to have better squads.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.