Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Native Linux Before Steam
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Dorrit Mar 7, 2019
Just out of curiosity, how did one install native games before Steam? Did they usually come in .deb files or were things often more complicated?
Salvatos Mar 7, 2019
I had only been dual-booting Ubuntu for a couple years when Steam came along, so my experience is limited. I tried a few open source games that were in the software center, and those were one-click installs not unlike what you would do in Steam. Anything else I played would have been through Wine and PlayOnLinux, so not native.
Ehvis Mar 7, 2019
Open source games were mostly in repos or came in various formats. Closed stuff was usually plain archives or .sh intallers. Or installers on DVD :)
Dorrit Mar 7, 2019
How did you go about installing from DVD?
lucinos Mar 7, 2019
software for linux in disks was not existed in my experience. That is why for me Linux became a sane choice as a main OS only when I had fast enough internet.

I am using exclusively Linux since 2008 but between 2008 and 2013 I was not playing any commercial games. Only free software games, retro games with dosbox/scummvm and browser games.

free software you could usually install it easily from distro repositories or it could be useful if you needed the latest to compile it yourself. Ubuntu software center also included commercial software (I say this is extremely stupid). Commercial software could come in .deb (bad) .tgz (good) or various other installers or archives types.
Avehicle7887 Mar 7, 2019
I remember installing Doom 3 on linux using a mix of the installer from id's ftp and the CD in 2008. I also still own the DVD version of UT2004 with the Linux logo on the case and installer on disc. Such good memories.
slaapliedje Mar 8, 2019
Quoting: Avehicle7887I remember installing Doom 3 on linux using a mix of the installer from id's ftp and the CD in 2008. I also still own the DVD version of UT2004 with the Linux logo on the case and installer on disc. Such good memories.
I was going to say the UT games had installers on the disc, and Loki Software and LGP had Linux native games. I now own Myth II for Linux, which is still usable since the engine is open source and you can download a newer installer that reads the files off the discs.

But to answer the question; there were usually the Loki installer https://github.com/megastep/loki_setup that was used for installation.
sub Mar 8, 2019
Quoting: slaapliedjeBut to answer the question; there were usually the Loki installer https://github.com/megastep/loki_setup that was used for installation.

Yup, this. :)

Edit:

Some commits "20 years ago"

Where does the time go?
Mountain Man Mar 8, 2019
Quoting: DorritJust out of curiosity, how did one install native games before Steam? Did they usually come in .deb files or were things often more complicated?
There was really no consistency. Some came nicely packaged in a .deb file or the distro equivalent. Some had distro agnostic installers. Others had to be installed "by hand". And still others had to be compiled from source (only open source games, obviously). That was one of the things that a lot of developers pointed to as a reason for not supporting Linux, that there was no single governing body saying, "It must always be done this way."
Dorrit Mar 8, 2019
Thanks for all the answers :)
naegling23 Mar 9, 2019
everyone missed the part where you spend 3 weeks on the ubuntu forums trying to track down a dependency issue.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.