Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Dwarf Fortress - gift dev a Linux laptop
Poll results: Is it a good idea to gift the Dwarf Fortress devs a Linux laptop ?
Yes

3 vote(s)
60%
No

2 vote(s)
40%
razing32 Mar 18, 2019
Hi there

I saw someone mention in the Dwarf Fortress article that it would be cool to gift the dev of the game a linux machine so they would have an easier time to get this going on linux.

Quoteflesk
QuoteGamewizard
I've been thinking about tracking down a used i7 machine or something similar and sending it Tarn's way. I might email him here soon about it.

I wonder if I would be worthwhile to pitch in together and buy them a cheap computer with Linux pre-installed. Have it ship directly to the developers from a store in their country to cut shipping costs.

Curios , do you think this is a good idea ?
Would be willing to put in some cash myself.
Salvatos Mar 18, 2019
Didn't read the article, but why don't they just dual boot or use a VM?
razing32 Mar 18, 2019
Quoting: SalvatosDidn't read the article, but why don't they just dual boot or use a VM?

From the article
QuoteThe free version has a Linux release, and the Steam version is planned to use very similar code, so this is on the table -- my current issue is that I'm using a virtual machine that is a bit slapdash and I need to invest in a better option in order to be able to test/work with the graphics properly. This is the only reason we haven't promised a Day One Linux version (OSX for similar reasons.) I'm confident we can figure something out, even if it takes a bit of extra time. Whether or not it works with all Linux flavors etc. has also been an ongoing issue, naturally, but at least what we've got now in the free one should be portable.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.