Anyone play CSGO at 1440p resolution?
poincare Mar 19, 2019
Hello all! I love CSGO's Danger Zone mode, but I recently bought a 1440p monitor and have been experiencing reproducible crashes in the mode when playing at the highest resolution. Whenever I play at 2560x1440 resolution, the game crashes at a predictable point. Whenever I play at 1080 resolution, it never crashes.

I've detailed my problem on the CSGO github, as well as in a possibly related bug report.

Just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me test this out. Here are my steps to reproduce:

• Set CSGO resolution to 2560x1440

• Start Danger Zone mode

• After the warmup, select a location to deploy. Deploy and land.

• Open the tablet and keep it open. At the moment that your first exploration bonus money would be earned, the game crashes and coredumps.

I think it has something to do with the text that gets displayed on the tablet when exploration bonuses are earned (the tablet displays the text "Exploration Bonus: $100" in green). My game crashes right before that text would be displayed. The game doesn't crash if the tablet is not open when the exploration bonus is earned.

Any testing and/or "works for me" reports would be very appreciated. I feel like I'm close to figuring out what my problem is. Thank you!!

My specs: Arch Linux, Intel i5, Nvidia RTX 2070, 1440p monitor at 144hz.
drlamb Mar 19, 2019
I do, yes (144Hz FreeSync too!). Does it happen no matter the deploy location? I luckily haven't experienced any crashes after the most recent Linux patches.

I will attempt to reproduce this when I get home tonight.
poincare Mar 19, 2019
Thanks, drlamb! Yes, it happens no matter where I deploy. And the crash never happens during the warmup phase, only after deploying.
WorMzy Mar 19, 2019
I run at 2560x1440 and had no problems last time I played it. I'll run a quick round now and see if I can reproduce.

EDIT: Nope, works fine.
poincare Mar 19, 2019
Thanks for testing, WorMzy! Can you tell me what fonts you have installed on your system? I found mine with fc-list. Since the crash seems to be triggered by text appearing on the tablet, I'm wondering if I'm missing a font or something.
WorMzy Mar 19, 2019
That's some 2000 lines. :P

They're all /usr/share/fonts though, so, to make things easier, here's what packages own files in that directory on my system:

$ pacman -Qqo /usr/share/fonts            
gsfonts
mathjax
noto-fonts
noto-fonts-cjk
noto-fonts-emoji
noto-fonts-extra
openimageio
steam-fonts
termsyn-font
ttf-dejavu
ttf-hack
ttf-symbola
xorg-font-util
xorg-fonts-encodings

steam-fonts may be of particular relevance, although I can't remember what I installed that for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
poincare Mar 19, 2019
THANK YOU WorMzy!! I was finally able to figure it out. I had a couple of font packages installed that I guess were causing some problem. I removed a couple but I suspect it was ttf-ms-win10 from the AUR. I removed a few packages and now it works fine!
drlamb Mar 21, 2019
Good to hear you figured it out! :) I was just about to report I encountered no issues attempting to reproduce this.
JacksonBald May 8, 2019
Oh, Thanks to reporting this question. I am also going to buy a new monitor to play some heavy games including CSGO, I was worried if this problem is also going to be on my new setup.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.