Some games can't start under Proton, but can via WINE
Tchey Mar 22, 2019
Hello,

I don't know where to ask and even less where to find a solution.

I have a few non-native games, and some of them don't work if i try to launch them via Steam Proton, but do work well if i use WINE straight from the local folder.

The issue here is that some games cannot be played if not from Steam, because they need to connect.

Example, Trailmakers, crash on launch on Proton, and seems to go fine with WINE, but then, a screen says it cannot connect to Steam and so, i can't play.

It seems to be related to Mono, not sure. Last lines from Proton, not there if i run via WINE.

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/tchey/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/tchey/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
>>> Adding process 17489 for game ID 585420
>>> Adding process 17491 for game ID 585420
CreateDirectory '' failed: Path not found.
 (current dir: )
Mono path[0] = 'Z:/home/tchey/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Trailmakers/Trailmakers_Data/Managed'
Mono config path = 'Z:/home/tchey/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Trailmakers/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'

Any idea ?

Linux Manjaro (Arch) 64bits Xfce
Intel Core i5 4590 (4 x 3,3 GHz)
MSI GeForce GTX 960 @ 2 Go
Nvidia Drivers
16 Go DIMM DDR3 PC12800
SSD Samsung 250Go
Tchey Apr 8, 2019
Little bump.

Any idea how i could "fix" this ?

https://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1554725834.jpg

QuoteTrailmakers crash on launch on Proton, and seems to go fine with WINE if i launch it from the local folder.

But then, a screen says it's not connected so, i can't play.

Steam Linux topic : https://steamcommunity.com/app/585420/discussions/0/1457328392110552846/?ctp=2

(edit : It seems i have Steam Manjaro, so i tried to install Steam Native, from the manager.

Then, i don't see how i can select -Native or -Manjaro version, it's only "Steam".

If i try to uninstall -Manjaro, it says the other "Steam" entries will be gone as well. )
serge Apr 8, 2019
i don't know for manjaro but on archlinux, you only install steam, and then you can launch it with steam or steam-native, there is also the steam-native-runtime package for installing almost all libs required by the runtime.

Probably your game is needing .net and Proton doesn't have wine-mono for launching it.

You should use protontricks for installing the .net.
razing32 Apr 8, 2019
Hate to be THAT guy, but what about installing a steam client under wine ?
I did that a little while back for a few games and they run quite well (Skyrim ., Fallout New Vegas)
chevy123 Jan 19, 2020
I have also installed Steam into a playonlinux virtual drives then downloaded the game from steam into wine. It can get a little confusing when you have several different instances of steam each running a different game. The last couple of years I have had excellent luck running games either via proton or directly with wine. Only a handful of games I couldn't get running eventually and they run and look just as good as they do on Windows.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.