Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
If you want things just to work out of the box stay on Windows.
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
dvd Apr 24, 2019
Used to be you had to download the blobs from team red or team green even on windows to play games (it was even recommended). Windows doesn't work out of the box. By the way this one is not true on linux, many distributions include the firmware and driver blob also by default (even debian installs it if you enable nonfree software iirc). And since for AMD stuff the open drivers are good, updates to those arrive more frequently to the repos.
Used to be the same with some printer drivers/software (still is, i ran into it a couple of weeks ago).

Seems like most of the stuff you're talking about is just sensationalism. I'm especially perplexed about your quip on the network managers. I don't really like NetworkManager, but it is a lot more usable then the connections thing in windows. I think it's a lot easier to find the settings for everyday networking tasks.

Also, if you don't like installing stuff, don't game on damn small linux, that's just a general advice. Also, if you hate LXDE, why use lubuntu? A modern computer won't run much slower just because of the DE you run on it.
Cyril Apr 24, 2019
All the Linux installations I have done (for me, for others, for test...) worked out of the box.
I'm really surprised to read this, especially in 2019.

Installing all of these drivers on Windows, configure the whole system to do what I really want and not the Microsoft bullshits... it's kinda a pain in the ass! And since I switched completely to Linux, I don't want ever to do this anymore, oh god no.

About your problem with resolving IP, I never had this issue, my network works fine with any OS/device.
And about installing a new file explorer, that's fine you can do it or not but maybe Lubuntu is not the "right" distribution for you.
I'm curious, what distributions have you tested so far?
Cedron Apr 24, 2019
This is a funny place.

Somebody borderline trolls you with a "Windows is better than Linux" frustration rant, and you all go "Full Exposition" mode.

I ask for some experienced opinions and no one mentions a peep. Would it help if I said "Gamepads suck" to get your ire up?

Please see the "Seeking some opinions - Redo" and opine away.

Ced

P.S. Punch cards or Floppy disks: Which are better?
tuubi Apr 24, 2019
Quoting: CedronPlease see the "Seeking some opinions - Redo" and opine away.
Snide comments won't make people want to read your topic. A title that actually says something about the subject might help.

Quoting: CedronP.S. Punch cards or Floppy disks: Which are better?
For storing data, the latter obviously, but this is very off topic here.
Cedron Apr 24, 2019
Dear tuubi,

Only the second line was meant to be snide. I don't think the OP was trolling, but dang, hard to tell. He (she?) drops a "my distro is better than yours" turd and hasn't been back.

The P.S. was meant to be sarcasm, didn't think I needed a /sarc.

My apologies all around. I've edited the title of my other thread.

I did get a useful answer on another question in the Programmimg forum, so I do appreciate that.

Ced
Shmerl Apr 24, 2019
I tell people simply - ditch Windows for good and have no regrets. Some stuff won't work - so what. Find one that does. Telling people to stay on Windows is a bad idea.
scaine Apr 24, 2019
Quoting: CedronDear tuubi,

Only the second line was meant to be snide. I don't think the OP was trolling, but dang, hard to tell. He (she?) drops a "my distro is better than yours" turd and hasn't been back.

The P.S. was meant to be sarcasm, didn't think I needed a /sarc.

My apologies all around. I've edited the title of my other thread.

I did get a useful answer on another question in the Programmimg forum, so I do appreciate that.

Ced

Haha! You can tell what we're passionate about, eh? :)

I did see your thread on gamepads, but your opening line was pretty much "I'm a programmer not a gamer" and to be honest, I didn't think to read past that, as I thought was it going to be a programming thread. Didn't realise you were looking for feedback on it.

Xbox360 pad suck btw. /s

:)
Salvatos Apr 24, 2019
Quoting: CedronSomebody borderline trolls you with a "Windows is better than Linux" frustration rant, and you all go "Full Exposition" mode.

I ask for some experienced opinions and no one mentions a peep.
One of those requires specialized technical knowledge. The other requires some user experience on Linux and/or Windows and an opinion, both of which everyone here has plenty of. It's not hard to see why they don't get the same amount of replies. And yeah, an explicit title helps.
ageres Apr 25, 2019
Win10 news: the upcoming big update won't install if you have any USB drive attached to your computer, otherwise it would have a chance to rename drive C: to another letter and screw up the whole system.
https://www.pcgamer.com/usb-drives-are-confusing-the-may-2019-update-for-windows-10/
Rooster Apr 25, 2019
Wut?

The title of this thread doesn't even make sense.. The only way to get everything work out of the box on Linux based OS is when more people will use Linux based OS. Staying on Windows is the exact opposite of the solution.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.