Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
steam locking up
Bumadar Jun 9, 2019
Hi,

Have not started steam in several weeks but when i did today it locked up downloading updates. So closed/killed it, started it again but same issue.

I got my game collection on a nas via nfs, so moved it, started steam, all was wel.
Added the nfs, steam locked up.

Uninstalled steam and installed it via a flatpack, much easier to kill that way ;)
Same effect, started and locked up on download.

Figured out the game at the top of the list it was updating so removed that from the nfs, started and all was fine for like a minute till next game got updated and it locked up again.

So right now not sure how to fix it, the nfs holds about 300 games or more, the update/download list is around 30 long, most show up with 0kb, which seems odd.
So far google has not helped me so firued might give it a try here.

Buma.
dvd Jun 9, 2019
Permission problems? Bad mount/nfs options? Bad underlying filesystem? Which nfs version? Do you get error messages? I don't think it's too common to use steam with this kind of setup, so i don't think anyone can help you unless you provide specific configuration of this setup.
Bumadar Jun 10, 2019
Quoting: dvdPermission problems? Bad mount/nfs options? Bad underlying filesystem? Which nfs version? Do you get error messages? I don't think it's too common to use steam with this kind of setup, so i don't think anyone can help you unless you provide specific configuration of this setup.

Thanks for the reply.
No its no permission problems, i can make a new steam library folder on the share using steam, even a few levels deep, but the moment it needs to download on it it locks up.

Nfs3. Nfs4 is pretty iffy with rights, though tried that and at one point had the rights wrong and steam complained about that.

Dont see any error message, just frozen up steam client.

Am on tumbleweed so hard to say if something with steam changed (as i said did not start it in a while, so was client update) or tumbleweed which is on kernel 5.1
Koopacabras Jun 20, 2019
QuoteAm on tumbleweed so hard to say if something with steam changed (as i said did not start it in a while, so was client update) or tumbleweed which is on kernel 5.1

I'm getting some freezes on Leap 15.1 I think it started happening a few weeks ago with some steam update. It will lock and won't scroll for some seconds, but begin responding then.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled on the steam client?? it's known to cause problems, it's broken because steam uses a very old version of chromium browser.
g000h Jun 21, 2019
Probably not a helpful suggestion, but mentioning anyway: Could you try mounting the NAS via sshfs instead of NFS and see if that works?
Bumadar Jun 25, 2019
hi, sorry for the late reply.
@Chancho_zombie, it runs perfectly fine as long as I don't add the nfs library, the moment I do it sees 263 installed and wants to update some -> full lock for as ling as I leave the PC running. Adding a new empty nfs works till the moment I download.
@g000h, never tried that, will look into it

so will look into sshfs if that is possible and will look deeper into nfs v4, when I quickly tried that a while ago steam there some write / permission errors so stuff is different in that respect on v4

edit: am not the first.... https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+NFS

cd /home/Bum/Diskstation/SteamLibrary/SteamApps
mv downloading /var/tmp/
ln -s /var/tmp/downloading

works perfectly for a while......

doing the mount with this option: nfs local_lock=all,noauto,rw,exec,x-systemd.automount 0 0 does work in the long run it seems
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.