Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Shenmue III Epic Store Exclusive - No refunds.
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Arehandoro Jun 14, 2019
More shenanigans from the Epic Store and more dubious actions from Ys.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-10-shenmue-3-is-now-an-epic-game-store-exclusive-on-pc

And two news are better understood together:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/bz5k1g/shenmue_iii_is_now_epic_exclusive_and_no_refunds/

Epic are covering themselves on shit, Deep Silver fuck us over again and Kickstarter playing dumb as usual. I know this might not be Linux news, and probably not many backed the game on this website, but I thought of adding a bit more meat to the hate machine towards Epic haha.

I am affected by this, btw. So I will try to take action on my side.
Salvatos Jun 14, 2019
"Most importantly, in looking for the most enjoyable experience on PC, it was decided together with Deep Silver after much discussion that the Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option."

I'm gonna have to echo other people's reaction and say that they were clearly only looking after their own "enjoyment" if they can say that with a straight face.
TobyGornow Jun 14, 2019
I'm with you bro. I dished out 150 € during the kickstarter campaign and with the wonderful evolution of DXVK I hoped that I could play it. Even if they are exclusive to the Epic store, decision I understand from a business POV but anti-consumer nonetheless, they could go the Exodus way and provide a Steam key for those who are asking for it, or better, provide a DRM free version for early backer.

What's pissing me off is that I paid double the price of the game to support them 'cause I'm a big fan of the originals and I wanted it to happen, I don't care seeing my name in the credits I gave them a fake name. First time & last time I support something on Kickstarter or equivalent.

If they don't change their mind and grant a refund or a Steam Key, I will switch my order to a PS4 copy and sell it, I won't play it, I won't even pirate it, I won't download their fu**ing Epic Store and it won't change my life only just 100 quids less in my wallet.

Keep me posted on your journey, if you need backup do not hesitate, go to the Shenmue Kickstarter comments page some are already taking action and are giving links to file a complaint.

By the way, something funny, the page is still up : https://store.steampowered.com/app/878670/Shenmue_III/

Just a thought, since it's developed on the Unreal engine, could Epic give a big fat discount on their licensing fees to gain exclusivity ?
Arehandoro Jun 17, 2019
I'm not sure the exact reasons as of why, but their actions should be illegal. Their HR team is also dodging the bullet with all questions, which it doesn't help. The Steam page is still up because I have the feeling it might be an Epic exclusive but only temporarily, hence Ys Net not giving refunds. It could be in their contract not to disclosure that until given some time.
legluondunet Jun 17, 2019
This is a very bad decision from Deep Silver because they will create a lot of disgruntled. If only they had announced this from the beginning. But here it is a capital change after raising the money .... a very bad marketing decision, their image will suffer as well as that of Kickstarter at the same time since people who are unhappy will not be reimbursed.
Salvatos Jun 17, 2019
Quoting: GuestI do not expect gamers to stick to a boycott because they would eventually feel mistreated by a publisher. Or they would not have accepted stuff like pre-orders or paying to be beta-testers.
Ha ha ha!

Yeah, they're not going to hate the company twice as much as anyone else after having their trust and support turned against them.
Arehandoro Jul 2, 2019
Apparently they will provide refunds and other options to backers:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2553891?ref=activity
Liam Dawe Jul 2, 2019
https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1146103878540308481
QuoteEpic is funding the cost of all Kickstarter refunds resulting from Shenmue III’s move to the Epic Games store, so that refunds won’t reduce Ys Net’s development funding.

And
QuoteWhen future games go Epic-exclusive after offering crowdfunding rewards on other PC stores, we’ll either coordinate with colleagues at the other stores to ensure key availability in advance, or guarantee refunds at announcement time.
TobyGornow Jul 2, 2019
Smooth wolf in sheep clothes PR move from Epic in the sense " You see ? We're not so bad." bullshit. Nonetheless, the refund is a good measure, it feels like we've been heard and maybe they will REALLY avoid this type of behavior in the future.

Maybe I'm wrong, Is there a technical difficulty to create a batch of Steam keys for backers asking for it two whole months from release ? I don't get it, I feel like I'm betrayed and manipulated or maybe there's something I'm missing.
Liam Dawe Jul 2, 2019
Quoting: TobyGornowSmooth wolf in sheep clothes PR move from Epic in the sense " You see ? We're not so bad." bullshit. Nonetheless, the refund is a good measure, it feels like we've been heard and maybe they will REALLY avoid this type of behavior in the future.

Maybe I'm wrong, Is there a technical difficulty to create a batch of Steam keys for backers asking for it two whole months from release ? I don't get it, I feel like I'm betrayed and manipulated or maybe there's something I'm missing.
From what I understand, Steam won't allow keys for this sort of thing if the game is not launching on Steam at the actual launch date.
Salvatos Jul 2, 2019
Quotecolleagues at the other stores
*Sensible chuckle*

I'm sure they're right chummy with the other stores they're locking out of selling high-profile games.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.