Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Witcher 3 (Steam (/GOG)) & Victor Vran (GOG) - won't start
dlf Jul 4, 2019
I'm running Linux Mint 19.1 (with cinnamon). My GPU is a 7970, when trying to run Witcher 3 from Steam (with proton, and/gog from Lutris (/gog galaxy through lutris) I get:

QuoteGPU does not meet minimal requirements. Support for Dirextx 11 required

If I try to run Victor Vran (gog copy) I get:

QuoteYou need an OpenGL 3.2-capable graphics card to run this game

Yet what's random is my Steam copy of VV will run without issues. I have ABSOLUTELY gotten Witcher 3 to run on this computer (when I used to run Windows) and since switching to Linux.
Shmerl Jul 4, 2019
It's a pretty old card. You probably need to enable amdgpu kernel module for it explicitly, otherwise it will use radeon.

See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_(SI)_and_Sea_Islands_(CIK)_support_support)
dlf Jul 4, 2019
Well the lutris copy of Witcher 3: GOTY edition boots, downloading through GOG galaxy (run through Lutris) will see how that runs. Odd that running Victor Vran through the same method it boots (albeit it's windows copy not linux). If I'm remembering correctly when I was running Mint 16 or 17 (18?) my GOG copy of VV would run but not steam, now it's reversed. And yes I do need a new GPU.
Shmerl Jul 5, 2019
What is your output for:

lsmod | egrep --color 'amdgpu|radeon'

If you see radeon there, you need to do the steps I linked above, to make sure you are using amdgpu kernel module instead.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.