Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Nvidia or AMD graphics card for a Linux gaming PC
entropie commented on 15 July 2019 at 11:42 am UTC

I found the latest phoronix results for OpenGL to be intresting:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radeon-5700-linuxgl&num=6

Of course for me it would be more intresting to see that in Vulkan, but those geometric mean is showing that the high-end segment indeed isnt ruled by nvidia alone no more. Besides the 2080Ti, the lead is fairly distributed between AMD and nvidia. Intresting is that the Vega 64 is above the 1080Ti, when the Vega 64 was meant to be the counterpart to a 1080. That shows in my opinion how the mesa driver improved over the years.

I'ld go for a Vega 56 + Ryzen 2700X that is around 450 € at the moment, so pretty cheap. If its still too much, you can get a smaller Ryzen, I think down until 1600X its ok for this build. That way you can build a pretty budget gaming PC with decent performance.

If mesa will receive the new ACO compiler, instead of LLVM that will put AMD in the lead in Linux Vulkan gaming. Cause shader stutter is drastically reduced that way. Imo AMD is catching up with big steps with Nvidia on Linux and while a 2080Ti is 65% more expensive than a Vega 64, it has only 27% more performance, the 2080Ti makes really only sense for 4k enthusiasts.

Alyana commented on 17 July 2019 at 7:32 pm UTC

Thank you all so much for the great comments! I have been away for a few days so I haven't had the chance to post earlier.

You have given me a lot of information I haven't had before. It still is a tough decision!

It will for sure become a Ryzen based machine, as far as I know, and a midrange card. I will post the decision here shortly. Thank you all again!

Feda commented on 18 July 2019 at 4:42 pm UTC

I would go with Radeon RX580 with 8GB VRAM. It will cost less and perform better than a 1050ti.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts