You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Nvidia or AMD graphics card for a Linux gaming PC
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Alyana Jul 17, 2019
Thank you all so much for the great comments! I have been away for a few days so I haven't had the chance to post earlier.

You have given me a lot of information I haven't had before. It still is a tough decision!

It will for sure become a Ryzen based machine, as far as I know, and a midrange card. I will post the decision here shortly. Thank you all again!
Alyana Jul 21, 2019
After looking at the prices and all that, I think an RX580 is indeed a good choice. I haven't seen a better card for that price. And if there are no huge differences anymore, compatibility wise and regarding driver support, it might be well worth it to give it a try.

I will keep you updated about it and some testing results I will be doing, comparing it to my own 1050 Ti.

Thank you again for all the info, you are awesome.
dubigrasu Jul 22, 2019
Be careful about the brand though, some 580 cards have issues regarding cooling and noise.
If I may, give Sapphire cards a try, I have a Sapphire Radeon RX 590 Nitro+ and it behaves really well, review here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3323380/sapphire-radeon-rx-590-nitro-review.html
If you can find one of these (they go for similar prices) go for it.

As for AMD/Nvidia drivers, really, you'll be fine fine with both, don't listen to the banter.
If you go for Nvidia I would suggest the GTX 1660 ti, is the second best in terms of performance per dollar.

Some numbers regarding temperatures, power consumption and performance per dollar for both cards:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-gtx1660ti-linux&num=7
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.