Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
New PC build, what you are thinking about it?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Dax Tailor Aug 10, 2019
Hi,
just a short update.

Build the new PC yesterday. The minor change was using Manjaro instead of Arch. Thought the installation is simpler.

The unigine-supperposition benchmark version 1.1 gives me 7832 points on 1080P high. Comparing to the unigine web side, there is a RTX 2070 Super with 7882 points and a GTX 980 with 7749 points. That is a very bad result for the 2070 or this points are useless. (The 980TI is, rough €150,- on ebay)

Testing was done with stock settings. The only thing I did was to select the correct profile for the RAM in the bios.
The max temperature of the vega was about 62°C. The noise was not bad considering an open case and me sitting about 50cm from the GPU away. One maybe problem I see is, because the Saphic Pulse is only a half size PCB but the cooling is full length, the hot air is blowing on the RAM modules. Thinking to use some cardboard to direct the air into an other direction.

There was a question about the build quality from MSI. What I've seen it looks really good. But that is only me looking at the board.

Otherwise, Manjaro runs out of the box with no issue at all. All HW I used so far is just working. (Kernel 5.2.4, Desktop i3)

If there are an interest for more testing, maybe some games, please let me know I will post some info in the forum.
Dragunov Aug 12, 2019
I've been using MSI motherboards for years and have not had any problems with them. They are a little late to the game releasing proper BIOS updates for the Ryzen 3k series though. I'm forced to use a beta bios that doesn't work properly in order to use my Ryzen 5 3600 on my MSI B450 board. I'm still waiting for them to release a proper BIOS.

My board is the MSI B450M PRO-M2 V2.
Dax Tailor Aug 17, 2019
Sorry for the late answer.
The last bios for the B450M Pro is from 5. Aug., does not looks like a beta version. But you are right, the first BIOS supporting Ryzen 3000 is from 18 Jul. I think the CPU's are released at 7. Jul?

The BIOS was one of the reason I've waited for the MAX motherboards. There are designed for the Ryzen 3000, what ever that means. At least I was sure my new CPU is working. Of cause you don't want to buy a new MB when the old one can handle the new CPU.

I played Factorio today and now I'm wondering why I need a CPU at all, that game needs about 5% CPU.

According to LinusTecTips, the Ryzen 3000 can be undervolted. That could give a little bit more clock speed for boost. So after 20 minutes searching the BIOS I finally found the setting for that and changed it from 1.445V to 1.35V, so far no problems.

Does someone know how to undervolt the GPU (still on VEGA 56)? The only thing I found so far was sending some Text to a proc or sys entry. I'm looking for something that will check that I don't send wrong values.

Thanks
Dragunov Aug 19, 2019
They released a new Bios August 6, 2019 and now my board is working perfectly. The "B450M Pro M2" and the "B450M Pro M2 V2" are two different boards. When I called MSI they told me that the max motherboards were out in Europe but hadn't been released in the USA yet, but now that my board is working properly i'm just going to stick with my current one.

Basically I had to cycle the PC on and off 2 to 3 times before it would boot and the bios would not save any settings. All that is fixed now in the new Bios.

According to Bios my Ryzen 3600 is only using 1.328v at idle. I didn't even have to change anything.
ageres Oct 4, 2019
I'm going to buy a new computer based on Ryzen 7 3700X. Would Asus Prime X370-A MoBo and DDR4-3200 RAM be ok for it, or maybe I should get something on AMD X570 chipset? X570 boards are much more expensive, and I would like to spend as little money as possible. I won't probably overclock anything. What about a CPU cooler, is the one from boxed versions of CPU good?
Shmerl Oct 4, 2019
X370 boards with Ryzen 3000 series is a bigger stretch. Should work in theory, but in practice has more issues from what I've heard. They'll probably fix them, but it happens with lower priority.
ageres Oct 4, 2019
So, X570 then? What motherboard would you recommend?
Shmerl Oct 4, 2019
I'm using Asrock X570 Taichi and so far it works pretty well. I can't really comment on others.
stud68 Oct 4, 2019
I am using ASUS PRIME b450 plus

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-prime-b450-plus-amd-b450-s-am4-ddr4-sata3-m2-2-way-crossfire-realtek-gbe-usb-31-gen2-a-plus-gen

Working perfectly fine with 3700x and rx5700xt. Its a bit cheaper than the x570 boards.
Only difference really is the lack of pcie 4.0.
Also can get full RGB software control using OpenAuraSDK.
Koopacabras Oct 5, 2019
Quoting: stud68I am using ASUS PRIME b450 plus

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-prime-b450-plus-amd-b450-s-am4-ddr4-sata3-m2-2-way-crossfire-realtek-gbe-usb-31-gen2-a-plus-gen

Working perfectly fine with 3700x and rx5700xt. Its a bit cheaper than the x570 boards.
Only difference really is the lack of pcie 4.0.
Also can get full RGB software control using OpenAuraSDK.

I heard good stuff of asus boards running linux. I wouldn't recommend gigabyte all their boards have IOMMU grouping broken.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.