Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Low FPS after changing to propreitary Nvidia Driver
soziopath Aug 5, 2019
Hi there,

first of all my specs

Ubuntu 19.04
Nvidia GTX 1080

I changed to the propreitary Nvidia Driver because i experienced some stuttering and moving windows was laggy especially if i had games running.

I then went ahead and added the Nvidia repository, removed all previously installed Nvidia packages, rebooted and installed the propreitary 430 driver (latest).

One good thing: the desktop environment and window manager feels much more responsive and smooth now.

But World of Warcraft (launched through Lutris) now cant get over 40 FPS.
Ehvis Aug 5, 2019
You're not giving much info.

I assume you meant that you were running the default nouveau driver before. This means you weren't playing WoW at all because I doubt it would work on that. That means the 40 fps is low compared to what?

Also, I suspect that WoW is like most MMOs and much more dependent on CPU performance than GPU performance, so you might just be limited elsewhere. Also, I'm not sure if the Lutris installer defaults to D9VK nowadays, but I heard that it runs much better when using that.
soziopath Aug 5, 2019
I think it was the opensource driver before. Not the one downloaded directly from the Nvidia site.
Before i got stable 120 FPS.

My CPU is chillin (i7-7700K)
Lutris has DXVK and Esync enabled but if i disable those it becomes even worse.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.