Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Want a new GPU. Any advice ?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Zelox Aug 15, 2019
Quoting: lucinos
Quoting: ZeloxThanks guys.
Is there an equalent in Nvidia to the nx 5700 and the 5700 without the nx :P? It's seems to be a bit pricy, but could check some comparing videos and reviews.

They are more pricy.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=navi-august-2019&num=6

Also I am always saying no more nvidia now that open source drivers are so good.

Well the reason I wanna compair is to know I what class the nx 5700 is. Nvidia is more "user friendly", cause there cards is most of the time rated like, the higher number in the card name, the more powerful card. 1080 is more powerful then 1050. Amd atlest to my knowlage is numbers all over the place :P. How is the 590 compared to nx 5700, I can watch stats ofc, but with an Nvidia card I can kinde of know just by hearing the number. My next card will be Amd, I'm just lost atm ?.
Shmerl Aug 15, 2019
I agree, AMD naming schemes are totally confusing, especially they change them all the time.

Probably something like this:

RX 590 < RX Vega 56 < RX 5700 < RX Vega 64 < RX 5700XT
Zelox Aug 15, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlI agree, AMD naming schemes are totally confusing, especially they change them all the time.

Thanks alot. I think Im leaning to a Sapphire Radeon RX 590 8GB.
Seems to be a decent card for the price, and its right under my budget ^^.
KrejsyLainen Aug 16, 2019
I got a Vega 56 for about 3000kr some months ago, it's quite the jump over a 590 and on Linux you won't have to deal with nVidias proprietary drivers
https://www.computersalg.se/i/4146199/gigabyte-radeon-rx-vega-56-gaming

(jag antar att jag skulle kunna skriva på svenska, men för att vara lite trevlig mot resten här)
Shmerl Aug 16, 2019
I think RX 5700 is priced around what Vega 56 used to be, but in result Vega 56 cards got discounted. Especially if you buy used ones, you can find them for less than $300. Just make sure if you buy used cards that they aren't from some cryptocurrency miners. Those cards are likely wasted due to constantly running at full load for a very long time.
Zelox Aug 16, 2019
Quoting: KrejsyLainenI got a Vega 56 for about 3000kr some months ago, it's quite the jump over a 590

Seems to be a little bit over my budget, but maybe there is a sale somewhere.

Quoting: GuestI bought used 1070 for 200 eur few weeks ago. Absolutely zero problems on closed source drivers. There's also some work done on multi gpu support (useful for igpu+dgpu combo) so I'm optimistic about the future.
The Nvidia ppa is in the Ubuntu update by default now as well. I got nothing against Nvidia, the 770 served me great and for a long time. The only problem I have I guess is there why of patenting there code, while amd shares. But personaly I just want to try amd :).
Pangaea Aug 16, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlI agree, AMD naming schemes are totally confusing, especially they change them all the time.

Do they intend to have a more sensible naming scheme going forward? It's very confusing, and for normal customers that's going to be a reason to go with the safe option of Nvidia.

Quoting: ZeloxSeems to be a little bit over my budget, but maybe there is a sale somewhere.

The Nvidia ppa is in the Ubuntu update by default now as well. I got nothing against Nvidia, the 770 served me great and for a long time. The only problem I have I guess is there why of patenting there code, while amd shares. But personaly I just want to try amd :).

Have had Nvidia for many years now, and currently have 770. It's still fine for my purposes, although I'm also eagerly looking at the new playthings from AMD, and I've had no problems with drivers from the PPA. Obviously it's better to be (more) open, but at the end of the day, as long as it works...?

You may be aware of this site already, but it's a great one for checking prices and comparing products: https://www.prisjakt.nu/ (we have .no on the other side of the border).

Always discouraging to see prices in Scandinavia vs UK/US, but I don't think the difference is quite as large as it was some years ago.
Shmerl Aug 18, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaDo they intend to have a more sensible naming scheme going forward? It's very confusing, and for normal customers that's going to be a reason to go with the safe option of Nvidia.

Not sure about their plans, but I don't think it affects most people in regards to GPU choices. It's not hard to figure out performance levels for those who need to buy a new GPU. I'd never trust names for it anyway, always look for benchmarks when buying new hardware.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.