Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Create your own LAN party!
slaapliedje Aug 24, 2019
Steps:
1) Find a lot of 10 Thinkpad T400s on ebay for cheap (in this case I got 10 for like 380+shipping).
2) Install Linux on all of them (went with Fedora 30, it really does have a smooth power button to desktop experience).
3) Find some Linux games that'll play on Intel GPU / Core 2 Duo.
4) Profit???
5) Have some drinks with your buddies! (at least if there is spillage on a laptop, it cost less than 40 bucks.)

Just need some help with part 3. Anyone got some good ideas for LAN games? I need to test to see if I can play NWN:EE, but I'm sure I could use Wine and play Diablo, though I think that maxes at 4 players.
Mnoleg Aug 25, 2019
If the hardware is modest you could just play the classics. Here are some random free(ware) and libre titles that came to my mind:

Sorry for all the missing awesomeness.
slaapliedje Aug 26, 2019
Huh, thought I replied to this.

Project is coming along. Ordered 10x 4GB sticks (so it'll bring them up to 6GB of RAM, though Linux (tried Fedora 30 and Debian 10) run perfectly fine with Gnome on these systems, if I ever want to do Windows 7 it's horrendously slow at 2gb of RAM) and also ordered 10x 240GB SSDs, which should speed these up tremendously!

Gonna do some testing in the next few days to see how they perform with some gaming. I did find that they sent only 4 of the correct power supplies, and I also found someone selling Docks for all of them (5 bucks each!) so may get those as well. Though that only really gives me parallel / serial ports.

This is going to be fun. Once I get a good image / setup on one of them, I plan on cloning it and then using clonezilla to make them all the same.
Dennis_Payne Oct 19, 2019
Why did you post this? Now you have me looking for laptops on ebay. Are the laptops powerful enough to run an open source FPS shooters like Xonotic or Red Eclipse?
slaapliedje Oct 20, 2019
Quoting: dulsiWhy did you post this? Now you have me looking for laptops on ebay. Are the laptops powerful enough to run an open source FPS shooters like Xonotic or Red Eclipse?
Ha! So the T400s I got do not have the ATI in them, so they max out at OpenGL 2.1. Red Eclipse seems to work on it though.
g000h Oct 21, 2019
If it were me, I'd probably be death-matching in all the old classics - Unreal Tournament, Doom 1 + 2, Quake 1 + 2 + 3, Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D - and using whatever Linux game engine that works with them. I also used to play a fair bit of Nexuiz (Classic Edition) and Xonotic - which have native Linux versions.

Some more possibilities: Alien Arena, Cube 2: Sauerbraten, OpenArena.
Mezron Nov 6, 2019
My LAN setup is 6 Dell Optiplex 780s. Got them for free awhile back when my job upgraded. I also have a custom PiArcade Cab and a Dell Optiplex 9020 connected to a 40inch monitor to play fighting games with 2 Hori RAP 4 KAI fight sticks. The games on the desktops are:

* AssaultCube
* FreeDoom with Brutal Doom via GZDoom with HiRez Texture mod + HRXtxC Hud Mod
* Xonotic
* Cube 2: Sauerbraten
* OpenArena
* UT99 - Linux Native version

The first 3 are the games that are normally rocking during my Sunday gatherings.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.