You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
  Go to:
An Open Letter to Liam Dawe on Censorship
Poll results: Which of these two extremes would you find preferable?
Never Close Comments, *EVER*

27 vote(s)
93%
Remove Comments Feature Entirely

2 vote(s)
7%
Cestarian commented on 2 September 2019 at 3:23 am UTC

tuubi
CestarianLike rkfg, I come here for linux gaming related news though, not to have propaganda and political opinions shoved down my throat. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... And I'm outta here.
What's the problem with opinions that differ from yours? Echo chambers only lead to more conflict down the road. Liam has made it pretty clear that within certain limits, all opinions are welcome as long as you behave.

Clearly all opinions are not welcome, when the comments are locked. And that is what I said was the biggest problem. You're just taking what I said out of context. I like how you speak as if what I want is an echo chamber when I'm saying I want the opposite. People can have whatever opinions they want, and it's wrong to silence those opinions, conversely that also applies to my own opinions.

amatai
CestarianThe problem here is that when Liam posted this article he picked a side, rather than just making a neutral article about it
He is a journalist, journalism is not neutral.
Would you like if he's been sending the neutral "You may support Linux or you may not" to the video games editors?
I read the website because I support the view of the contributors (and I will support financially the moment I have a stable income)
I totally support Liam & co on this issue. GOL is their home, free speech don't mean you can go on other peoples home to say rude things. If they want to close comment on an article because there are risk of a flame war who will cost them a few hours of their time to moderate it is their right. They have a finite amount of time to give to GOL that has so many better uses.

Sounds like what you want is an echo chamber. If this is how it's going to be it's disappointing, after all the site is called gamingonlinux not gamingontheleft. If this site really is starting to turn into an echo chamber of far left political ideologies like most game journalist sites; then that would be quite frustrating for probably a good half of linux gamers who frequent this site. Possibly more.

I mean there's not much we can do about it if that's what Liam wants, but a linux gaming site that only represents the small portion of linux gamers that lean to the far left would not be much of a linux gaming site as much as would be a repeat of feminist frequency that also focuses on linux games. Why not just go read polygon if that's what you want?

You can be selectively neutral about some things. Being neutral about something doesn't mean you have to become some kind of buddha.

tuubi commented on 2 September 2019 at 5:43 am UTC

Cestarian
tuubi
CestarianLike rkfg, I come here for linux gaming related news though, not to have propaganda and political opinions shoved down my throat. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... And I'm outta here.
What's the problem with opinions that differ from yours? Echo chambers only lead to more conflict down the road. Liam has made it pretty clear that within certain limits, all opinions are welcome as long as you behave.

Clearly all opinions are not welcome, when the comments are locked. And that is what I said was the biggest problem. You're just taking what I said out of context.
No I'm not. Not allowing all-out fights or "bad behaviour" does not silence anyone's opinion. The comments were locked for everyone, not just people who don't agree with Liam. Any opinion worth putting out can be put out respectfully, and respectful discussions have never been locked or heavily moderated on this site.

CestarianI like how you speak as if what I want is an echo chamber when I'm saying I want the opposite. People can have whatever opinions they want, and it's wrong to silence those opinions, conversely that also applies to my own opinions.
Yet here you are voicing your opinions, and nobody is trying to silence you. We might not get to comment wherever and whenever we want, but that's hardly the same. GOL isn't reddit, and that's how I like it.

My comment about wanting an echo chamber was in response to your laughable comment about Liam "forcing opinions down your throat". That sounds like you only want to hear/read opinions you agree with.

Cestarian
amatai
CestarianThe problem here is that when Liam posted this article he picked a side, rather than just making a neutral article about it
He is a journalist, journalism is not neutral.
Would you like if he's been sending the neutral "You may support Linux or you may not" to the video games editors?
I read the website because I support the view of the contributors (and I will support financially the moment I have a stable income)
I totally support Liam & co on this issue. GOL is their home, free speech don't mean you can go on other peoples home to say rude things. If they want to close comment on an article because there are risk of a flame war who will cost them a few hours of their time to moderate it is their right. They have a finite amount of time to give to GOL that has so many better uses.

Sounds like what you want is an echo chamber. If this is how it's going to be it's disappointing, after all the site is called gamingonlinux not gamingontheleft. If this site really is starting to turn into an echo chamber of far left political ideologies like most game journalist sites; then that would be quite frustrating for probably a good half of linux gamers who frequent this site. Possibly more.
"Far left" my ass. Maybe by US standards. Since when is respect only for leftists? Because that's basically the only thing Liam demands of us.

CestarianI mean there's not much we can do about it if that's what Liam wants, but a linux gaming site that only represents the small portion of linux gamers that lean to the far left
How small is this portion exactly? Just curious, as you seem to have the numbers. So far I don't see any evidence that you represent a majority.

CestarianYou can be selectively neutral about some things. Being neutral about something doesn't mean you have to become some kind of buddha.
You're asking him to be neutral about anything that you consider political. In effect anything that actually matters.

denyasis commented on 2 September 2019 at 8:20 am UTC

Liam DaweAgain, I've said all I care to on the topic now. I've put my own points across, as have others.

If I may say one thing of your moderation decisions:

I would let my young children read Gaming on Linux.

Please keep up the excellent work.

fabertawe commented on 18 September 2019 at 9:16 am UTC

Liam DaweAsking us to never close comments is asking us to allow GOL to turn into a hell-hole though. We are moderated, always have been and always will. We have to take a stand somewhere and we can't please everyone, all of the time ...[snip]... As long as people remain respectful this forum topic can stay open to have a productive chat about it. Believe me, I want to have the best community possible.

A pointless thread and the perfect answer in post 2. I only read page 1.

Eike commented on 19 September 2019 at 3:33 pm UTC

Not reading the thread and not taking part in this poll without reasonable options:
Please, Liam, continue as you did, you're doing a good job in difficult situations (and all this in your spare time). Thank you.

Liam Dawe commented on 19 September 2019 at 3:56 pm UTC

EikeNot reading the thread and not taking part in this poll without reasonable options:
Please, Liam, continue as you did, you're doing a good job in difficult situations (and all this in your spare time). Thank you.
Just a small correction, GOL is a full-time operation. It's only in spare time once it passes 3:30PM on week days and weekends ;)

Eike commented on 19 September 2019 at 7:44 pm UTC

Liam DaweJust a small correction, GOL is a full-time operation. It's only in spare time once it passes 3:30PM on week days and weekends ;)

I was aware it must take lots of time, but I didn't expect it to yield enough money. Whatever, thanks for doing it!

Liam Dawe commented on 19 September 2019 at 7:48 pm UTC

Eike
Liam DaweJust a small correction, GOL is a full-time operation. It's only in spare time once it passes 3:30PM on week days and weekends ;)

I was aware it must take lots of time, but I didn't expect it to yield enough money. Whatever, thanks for doing it!
Well, "enough" depends on your point of view. With Patreon, PayPal, Liberpay, Humble Store + GOG + Twitch affiliations it's enough to just scrape by while doing what I love

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts