You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Steam Icon Keeps Disappearing!
Cyba.Cowboy Aug 31, 2019
I installed (the latest version of) Steam on a "fresh" copy Linux Mint 19.2 ("Tina"), but every time I restart my computer, the icon disappears from the "Cinnamon" menu!

In order to fix the issue, I "purged" Steam from my computer, restarted and re-installed Steam from scratch... Everything worked fine until I restarted, then boom - the icon is missing again!

Any ideas?
Liam Dawe Aug 31, 2019
If you run Steam in terminal I assume it still works fine?
Cyba.Cowboy Aug 31, 2019
Well I have "steam-launcher" installed, according to:
apt list --installed

But if I type:
steam-launcher

Terminal says:
steam-launcher: command not found
tuubi Aug 31, 2019
Quoting: Cyba.CowboyWell I have "steam-launcher" installed, according to:
apt list --installed

But if I type:
steam-launcher

Terminal says:
steam-launcher: command not found
Which package did you use to install Steam? Was it "steam-installer" from the Ubuntu repositories or the package you can download here?

EDIT: Try running "steam" instead of "steam-launcher". The name of the package isn't the same as the name of the executable.
Cyba.Cowboy Aug 31, 2019
Yeah, that works... But still no Steam icon in the menu (i.e. I can only launch it via Terminal).
razing32 Sep 1, 2019
Sounds like a Cinammon bug tbh.
Had some issues with it on Arch as well.
Can ou try to install MATE alongside it ? Just to see if the bug repeats ?
Cyba.Cowboy Sep 6, 2019
Never mind.

If I manually created an item for Steam in the Menu (right-click the Menu-->Configure...-->Menu-->Open the menu editor-->category (e.g. "Games")-->New Item), it seems to "stick" between restarts (of my computer)...

The "Name" field is whatever you want it to be, the "Command" field is "steam" and if you click the icon, you can pick whatever icon you want (the actual "Steam" icon should be in there, if you want to stick with that).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.