Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
psdoom: a process monitor... graphical, interactive.... that sort of thing
wvstolzing Sep 23, 2019
Make sure you check out the screenshots as well:

http://psdoom.sourceforge.net/

An excerpt from the description: "The first level (either E1M1 or MAP01), and only the first level, will contain monsters that represent processes currently running on the machine ('pid monsters'). The machine's process list is checked at regular intervals. Processes that are new since the last check are spawned as new monsters, while processes no longer running on the machine are removed from the level. Process monitoring is not done if the user is on a level other than the first one or while recording/playing a demo."

It's hilarious.
fnordianslip Sep 24, 2019
Can you kill processes by shooting monsters?
wvstolzing Sep 24, 2019
Quoting: fnordianslipCan you kill processes by shooting monsters?

That's the idea -- though as to whether it actually works, I don't know, since I haven't tried it myself.
Shmerl Sep 25, 2019
Sounds pretty destructive :)
wvstolzing Sep 25, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlSounds pretty destructive :)

I wonder if pid 1 shows up as a Cyberdemon ... or cyberd
TactikalKitty Sep 26, 2019
Quoting: fnordianslipCan you kill processes by shooting monsters?

This. This right here is the best thing I've seen all day.
wvstolzing Sep 26, 2019
I wonder if you could assign different signals to the various guns in the game. Like the shotgun sends a SIGTERM, while the BFG sends a SIGKILL to all processes in sight.
fnordianslip Sep 27, 2019
Quoting: wvstolzingI wonder if you could assign different signals to the various guns in the game. Like the shotgun sends a SIGTERM, while the BFG sends a SIGKILL to all processes in sight.
I nearly posted exactly the same thing. I don't think it does that, but it sounds ideal/crazy. I like how wounding the monsters apparently renices their process! I also wonder if using the good old "IQDQD" cheat code get's you root as well as god mode. That would be awesome/horrible.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.