Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Unable to boot PC after installing RX 5700
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Arehandoro Oct 5, 2019
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Sapphire Pulse 5700 and can't make it work. After installing it, the box started normally (with Arch) but it would complain that is not supported every time I'd try to run a game. Then I read that mesa-aco-git was the culprit so decided to uninstall it and put mesa-git back. That is the beginning of my journey xD

When mesa-git drivers were installed, the PC became unresponsive and had to reboot it. It never boot again with that Arch install. After the grub menu it would go to a blank screen with the white cursor, not blinking on the left top corner of the monitor. No keys would do anything except ctr+alt+del to reboot the system. To don't complicate my life, tried to just do another OS install

Since then, I've tried installing Arch again, Manjaro, Ubuntu and Debian. All of them with the same result, except Ubuntu that does boot, though doesn't have kernel 5.3, so I can't still use the GPU.

EDIT: Actually, I can boot Debian only on single user mode and complains constantly about rwt88 module that I believe are included on the 5.3 kernel as well.

I'm running out of ideas, and patience, does anyone here have an advice/tip on how they did it or how to fix it?

Thanks!
Avehicle7887 Oct 5, 2019
Have you tried to boot it with the 'nomodeset' boot parameter?
Arehandoro Oct 5, 2019
Quoting: Avehicle7887Have you tried to boot it with the 'nomodeset' boot parameter?

Actually, no, I haven't. I need to add it on the grub line, isn't it?

What does 'nomodeset' do? Will it affect the overall performance?

Ok, found it:

"nomodeset

The newest kernels have moved the video mode setting into the kernel. So all the programming of the hardware specific clock rates and registers on the video card happen in the kernel rather than in the X driver when the X server starts.. This makes it possible to have high resolution nice looking splash (boot) screens and flicker free transitions from boot splash to login screen. Unfortunately, on some cards this doesnt work properly and you end up with a black screen. Adding the nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded.
"

Thanks, will try now :)

EDIT: It doesn't work, same result. Although this time the white cursor is at least blinking AND can login on a terminal, but X won't start at all.
Avehicle7887 Oct 5, 2019
Quoting: ArehandoroEDIT: It doesn't work, same result. Although this time the white cursor is at least blinking AND can login on a terminal, but X won't start at all.

Since you now have access to the terminal, you could try to download and install a newer kernel.
Arehandoro Oct 6, 2019
Quoting: Avehicle7887
Quoting: ArehandoroEDIT: It doesn't work, same result. Although this time the white cursor is at least blinking AND can login on a terminal, but X won't start at all.

Since you now have access to the terminal, you could try to download and install a newer kernel.

Tried but constantly fails when compiling it. Will see what can I achieve during the day :D
Shmerl Oct 6, 2019
Do you have latest Navi firmware? Make sure to get it here: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/amdgpu/

And put it in /usr/lib/firmware/amdgpu

Then run:

sudo update-initramfs -u

Also, check that your Mesa is built with llvm 9.0 or higher. It could be built with 8, which won't work.

As for kernel, you need at least 5.3 or newer. You can try 5.4-rc1.
Arehandoro Oct 6, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlDo you have latest Navi firmware? Make sure to get it here: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/amdgpu/

And put it in /usr/lib/firmware/amdgpu

Then run:

sudo update-initramfs -u

Also, check that your Mesa is built with llvm 9.0 or higher. It could be built with 8, which won't work.

As for kernel, you need at least 5.3 or newer. You can try 5.4-rc1.

Will try this, thanks so much. However, I believe that firmware was already in my previous Arch install and still X wouldn't start. For testing, I have swapped to my old RX 580 and the system has started with no issues. Hopefully that doesn't mean the card is faulty.

How do I check Mesa is built with llvm 9.0 and what is the best way to install the kernel? If I follow this guide https://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-news/linux-kernel-5-3-released-and-here-is-how-to-install-it/ it always fails at compilation. Never installed a kernel before that isn't in the repos, so a bit at a loss here.

Thanks a lot, will continue trying.
Shmerl Oct 6, 2019
Example (assuming Debian named packages and tooling, you should use Arch analog):

dpkg -L mesa-vulkan-drivers:amd64
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libVkLayer_MESA_overlay.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvulkan_intel.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvulkan_radeon.so
<...>

ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvulkan_radeon.so
        linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff46121000)
        libLLVM-9.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libLLVM-9.so.1 (0x00007f0a4f4b1000)
        libdrm_amdgpu.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm_amdgpu.so.1 (0x00007f0a4f4a5000)
<...>

dpkg -L libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri
<...>
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
<...>

ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
        linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff52be2000)
        libdrm.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm.so.2 (0x00007fb917beb000)
        libLLVM-9.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libLLVM-9.so.1 (0x00007fb91388a000)
<...>

Note that libvulkan_radeon.so and radeonsi_dri.so link to libLLVM-9.so.1.

As for building the kernel, I'm not familiar with Arch packaging, but on Debian building the kernel is quite easy using standard Debian tools. You should probably ask on Arch forums about suggestions how to work around your particular build failures.
stud68 Oct 6, 2019
rx 5700 works with latest arch kernel and mesa-git repo.
Not sure about the current firmware but "linux-firmware-agd5f-radeon-navi10" for sure works.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-firmware-agd5f-radeon-navi10/
Arehandoro Oct 6, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlExample (assuming Debian named packages and tooling, you should use Arch analog):

dpkg -L mesa-vulkan-drivers:amd64
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libVkLayer_MESA_overlay.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvulkan_intel.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvulkan_radeon.so
<...>

ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvulkan_radeon.so
        linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff46121000)
        libLLVM-9.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libLLVM-9.so.1 (0x00007f0a4f4b1000)
        libdrm_amdgpu.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm_amdgpu.so.1 (0x00007f0a4f4a5000)
<...>

dpkg -L libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri
<...>
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
<...>

ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
        linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff52be2000)
        libdrm.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm.so.2 (0x00007fb917beb000)
        libLLVM-9.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libLLVM-9.so.1 (0x00007fb91388a000)
<...>

Note that libvulkan_radeon.so and radeonsi_dri.so link to libLLVM-9.so.1.

As for building the kernel, I'm not familiar with Arch packaging, but on Debian building the kernel is quite easy using standard Debian tools. You should probably ask on Arch forums about suggestions how to work around your particular build failures.

I changed to Debian in one of my attempts to make it work. Compiling the kernel failed all the time, and just now changed to Ubuntu 19.10 beta and it's working fine. I might keep it like this for today, so I can game a bit, and when the kernel 5.3 is released for Debian sid I will install that instead.

Quoterx 5700 works with latest arch kernel and mesa-git repo.
Not sure about the current firmware but "linux-firmware-agd5f-radeon-navi10" for sure works.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-firmware-agd5f-radeon-navi10/

Thanks, didn't know of that package.
Shmerl Oct 6, 2019
For the reference, Debian already has kernel 5.3.2 in experimental: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/linux

You can install it in Debian testing or unstable.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.