Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
[SUGGESTION] Proposal for updated layout
-Daniel-Palacio- Oct 24, 2019
Press every link respecting the order, please. Once all of them are open, then compare.

03 - 02 - 01

Observations

- Notice the sections on the top menu were altered.

- Icons at the upper right represent, from left to right: Sales, Mailing List, Wiki and Contact Us. If you hover the mouse over them a message should appear indicating what they mean.

- The "Livestream" chart is meant to act like a scrolling marquee. Once one announcement finishes, then the following one appears, as marked on the five dots under the chart, at the left side. If you click the chart it should direct you to the Livestream Calendar section. You can re-check every announcement by pressing the dots, obviously.

- The pop-up menu on image 2 should appear if you click on the search bar.

- The lower right black chart is meant to be fixed and aligned with the "Support Us" chart, hence the "Popular this week" chart is "cut" at the bottom on images 1 & 2 (the blue line on the lower border makes it obvious that the text was "interrupted" intentionally).

- Once you start scrolling down past the "Support Us" chart, then the lower right black chart will be "released", as seen on image 3, and you'll be able to see the "Last Comments" and "Last Forum Posts".
Liam Dawe Oct 24, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions.

However I'm not a fan of the search box being moved. The reason it's in the top bar is so that it can be accessed at all resolutions (including mobile with a pop-out button). Moving it makes no sense. The All News button also needs to be available easily, without having to know it's in the search box. The reason being: people block tags, hitting that buttons shows all without blocking tags so it needs super quick access.

Burying the support us box down below I'm also not a fan of, the reason it's at the top is so that it's clear and prominent, to make sure users are aware we're supported by users.

The scrolling livestreams bit is interesting, however the GOL livestream bar is staying as a bit by itself because it's official and I don't want it bundled into others. I could possibly adjust the sidebar to allow scrolling through them without visiting the page :)

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 24 October 2019 at 10:54 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.