Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
D9VK with Proton on Steam problem
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
TobyGornow Oct 26, 2019
Hi,

I was playing Vanquish on Steam with Proton 4.11-7 and performances were okay-ish for a 10 year old game without, maybe I'm wrong, any anti-aliasing visible on screen knowing MSAA x8 was activated in the options.

That's when I told myself : "What about D9VK ?"

After checking ProtonDb where people successfully played with D9VK, I added "PROTON_USE_D9VK=1 %command%" to my launch options, clicked play, aaaaand... Nothing. Running appeared in green and goes back to normal like nothing happened, clicking PLAY again does the same thing each time.

Nothing troubling, I'm accustomed to this, so I tried other games like Deadlight, Borderland Pre-sequel and each one gave me the same behavior. The only one that gave me a big black screen is Grandia 2 HD remaster.

I tried to disable my second screen and nop, restarting steam still nop, reinstall Proton nop again.

Has anybody an Idea on where to look ? Or can anybody point me to a Game that works flawlessly on D9VK with Proton on Steam play ?

My config :

System:    Host: Hap Kernel: 5.4.0-050400rc4-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.4 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P8Z77-V LX v: Rev X.0x serial: <root required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 2501 
           date: 07/21/2014 
CPU:       Quad Core: Intel Core i5-3570K type: MCP speed: 1609 MHz min/max: 1600/4300 MHz 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD NAVI10 (DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-050400rc4-generic LLVM 9.0.0) 
           v: 4.5 Mesa 19.3.0-devel (git-cff53da 2019-10-26 bionic-oibaf-ppa) 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.03 TiB used: 154.68 GiB (14.7%) 
Info:      Processes: 208 Uptime: 2h 45m Memory: 7.72 GiB used: 1.06 GiB (13.7%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.32 
Xpander Oct 26, 2019
PROTON_LOG=1 PROTON_USE_D9VK=1 %command%

into the launch options to see whats up with it. it will create a log into the home folder with name Steam-<appid>.log
TobyGornow Oct 26, 2019
Thanks for your time.

I did what you said and everything seems fine except for

info:  Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2 not supported
info:  Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_surface not supported
info:  Required Vulkan extension VK_KHR_win32_surface not supported
39179.786:0035:0036:trace:seh:MSVCRT_raise (22)
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dxvk::DxvkError'

Problem with mesa not supporting these extensions ?

EDIT : Bad english...

Last edited by TobyGornow on 26 October 2019 at 7:52 pm UTC
buono Oct 26, 2019
I've found this Toby if it helps.MesaMatrix
Scroll to the bottom for vulkan capabilities.

Looks like VK_KHR_win32_surface is still not started.

Have to live right on the edge to get navi 10 going.
TobyGornow Oct 27, 2019
Quoting: buonoI've found this Toby if it helps.MesaMatrix
Scroll to the bottom for vulkan capabilities.

Looks like VK_KHR_win32_surface is still not started.

Have to live right on the edge to get navi 10 going.

Thanks for the link, really helpful site.

If I'm not wrong, VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2 & VK_KHR_surface should be supported and shouldn't spit an error.

So i'll wait a little longer when mesa 19.3 will be released and then i'll try again.
TobyGornow Oct 27, 2019
Okay, it's working, I was just lacking the 32bit Mesa Vulkan drivers. Thought it was installed automatically.

so :

sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386

D9VK gives much more performance than dxvk in Vanquish case, it's amazing. But still, I'm feeling that antialiasing "Edge 8x" in the options does nothing, maybe it's me and it's an old game, so I've become more picky.

I will try the other options to see if there's a difference.
YoRHa-2B Oct 28, 2019
Quoting: buonoLooks like VK_KHR_win32_surface is still not started.
A Linux driver has no business implementing a Windows extension, it's literally impossible. VK_KHR_win32_surface is provided by wine and basically translates it to VK_KHR_xlib_surface.

Last edited by YoRHa-2B on 28 October 2019 at 7:05 am UTC
tuubi Oct 28, 2019
Quoting: TobyGornowD9VK gives much more performance than dxvk in Vanquish case, it's amazing.
According to the Steam page it's a DirectX 9.0c game, so it never ran on DXVK in the first place. That was just plain old WineD3D.
TobyGornow Oct 28, 2019
Quoting: YoRHa-2B
Quoting: buonoLooks like VK_KHR_win32_surface is still not started.
A Linux driver has no business implementing a Windows extension, it's literally impossible. VK_KHR_win32_surface is provided by wine and basically translates it to VK_KHR_xlib_surface.

What does this means for me the basic End-user ?
All I know is I installed mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386 and Bam ! it's Working like a charm.
I feel that you're not quite satisfied with the solution. Should I file a bug / complain / rant on Proton Git, Mesa Git or somewhere else ?

PS : Thanks for all your work on DXVK. I just finished Nier Automata and it's one of the best game I've played in 20 years.

Last edited by TobyGornow on 28 October 2019 at 8:57 am UTC
TobyGornow Oct 28, 2019
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: TobyGornowD9VK gives much more performance than dxvk in Vanquish case, it's amazing.
According to the Steam page it's a DirectX 9.0c game, so it never ran on DXVK in the first place. That was just plain old WineD3D.

Thanks, didn't know that. I thought Proton was DXVK or D9VK and that you can force WINED3D with a launch option. So I stand corrected.

D9VK gives much more performance than WINED3D in Vanquish case, it's amazing.
YoRHa-2B Oct 28, 2019
Quoting: TobyGornowWhat does this means for me the basic End-user ?
It basically means that you don't have to care as long as you have wine and all the required system libraries installed.

My point is just that expecting Mesa to implement win32-specific WSI extensions on Linux is pointless.

Last edited by YoRHa-2B on 28 October 2019 at 9:11 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.