Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Flattr, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
  Go to:
[Rant]: RX 5700... a frustrating experience
The_Aquabat commented on 11 December 2019 at 6:00 pm UTC

The_AquabatI also had problems with my 1600 but it was one of the first silicons and would also crash gcc a lot besides other programs as well. I ended switching to a 2600, no problems with that at all. Some of those silicons are really faulty if you are really lucky I guess you could send it to RMA.

you have to be lucky because some ppl report that even after three times of getting replacements from RMA they still have faulty chips. I didn't want to go through all that hassle and ended up replacing it for a 2600.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 11 December 2019 at 6:00 pm UTC

Shmerl commented on 11 December 2019 at 6:10 pm UTC

Yeah, first generation Ryzens are just too buggy. Save yourself the trouble and get a new Zen 2 chip (3000 series).

carbolymer commented on 4 January 2020 at 7:40 pm UTC

ShmerlFor me it got fixed, but those messages still spam dmesg, so I disabled most amdgpu sensors meanwhile, except for temperature monitor in KDE plasmoid, which doesn't trigger it for me.

@Smerl, which sensors and where did you disable it? I have the same issues, so I hope your workaround will help me.

Shmerl commented on 5 January 2020 at 12:15 am UTC

Fan and temperature sensors in ksysguard.

Shmerl commented on 6 January 2020 at 3:16 am UTC

Running 5.5-rc5 with amdgpu sensors in ksysguard. Looks like the powerplay bug is fixed now.

AwesamLinux commented on 6 January 2020 at 2:46 pm UTC

Current Oibaf Mesa and Kernels 5.3.x (on 5.3.18 now) is still the only stable configuration with the RX 5700 for me.

With Kernel 5.5-rc5 I usually can't even reach the desktop, either it gets stuck during boot on black screen or error message "[drm:dm_helpers_parse_edid_caps [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Couldn't read SADs: -2". Or I reach the desktop, but then getting hard freezes.

So I guess I'm holding on to Kernels 5.3.x for now

tuubi commented on 6 January 2020 at 3:56 pm UTC

I'm currently running Ubuntu's mainline 5.4.8 and Mesa from Kisak's PPA (19.3.1 with some backports) and everything seems to work fine.

TobyGornow commented on 6 January 2020 at 7:40 pm UTC

AwesamLinuxCurrent Oibaf Mesa and Kernels 5.3.x (on 5.3.18 now) is still the only stable configuration with the RX 5700 for me.

I'm on Mint 19.2 too running the 5.5-rc5 Kernel (Generic Ubuntu) and mesa 20.0 (oibaf ppa) and everything is silky smooth. I had some problem during the installation due to the outdated or non-existant firmwares from Mint. Did you check that ?

AwesamLinux commented on 6 January 2020 at 10:15 pm UTC

I made another attempt with the 5.5-rc5 Kernel and most recent Oibaf. So far it is working without freezes as long as I don't have the Psensor application running.

Shmerl commented on 7 January 2020 at 3:06 am UTC

AwesamLinuxI made another attempt with the 5.5-rc5 Kernel and most recent Oibaf. So far it is working without freezes as long as I don't have the Psensor application running.

So you are still having sensors issue with 5.5-rc5? Can you please comment here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/issues/900

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Shots Fired: „Saints Row: The Third“
  • Story Time: „Trüberbrook“
  • Puzzle Tiles: „FRAMED“
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts