Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
HTC Vive ??
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
bidinou Nov 16, 2019
Hi everyone !

A friend of mine is selling a complete HTC Vive pack... Does anyone here use it ? How good is it ? How well does it perform on Linux ? Is it compatible with all Steam VR titles ? What about eye strain ?

I own an RTX 2060, is it OK ?

(sorry if it's already been asked, I made a quick forum search to no avail !)

cheers !
buono Nov 16, 2019
Hi bidinou, I recently got the original vive second hand off ebay and I can say that I have been very surprised just how well it all 'just works' on linux.
There are a few titles that still have issues, I posted on protondb a result for 'The Lab' that works well but does have slow loading times and crashes when starting robot repair and creature cave. Elite Dangerous is spectacular in vr- it does crash on first launch but works second time, and Portal VR is short but fun. Google earth is great but can stutter sometimes while downloading location data.

My original hardware was an Fx8350 with an rx480 which did just about manage to take the strain, but I have recently upgraded to a ryzen 2700 and rx5700 - yes, I'm an amd fanboi :) . Which handles vr very well.

No problems with eye strain. There is an adjustment for ipd on the side of the headset. Some games like Pavlov VR and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice VR can make you feel nauseous though.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by buono on 17 November 2019 at 10:39 am UTC
Julius Nov 24, 2019
Interesting summary of the current Linux VR situation can be found here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/e07h74/some_clarification_about_vr_on_linux/
slaapliedje Nov 25, 2019
Quoting: buonoHi bidinou, I recently got the original vive second hand off ebay and I can say that I have been very surprised just how well it all 'just works' on linux.
There are a few titles that still have issues, I posted on protondb a result for 'The Lab' that works well but does have slow loading times and crashes when starting robot repair and creature cave. Elite Dangerous is spectacular in vr- it does crash on first launch but works second time, and Portal VR is short but fun. Google earth is great but can stutter sometimes while downloading location data.

My original hardware was an Fx8350 with an rx480 which did just about manage to take the strain, but I have recently upgraded to a ryzen 2700 and rx5700 - yes, I'm an amd fanboi :) . Which handles vr very well.

No problems with eye strain. There is an adjustment for ipd on the side of the headset. Some games like Pavlov VR and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice VR can make you feel nauseous though.

Hope this helps!
I need to try Elite again, last time I did it ran about 100FPS less than Windows, and in VR was just awful performance. I could probably turn down the performance, but then I also have the Index, which has a lot higher resolution.
buono Nov 25, 2019
Performance on the vive is pretty good, I have set it to vr ultra. Do get stutters in the station at the start of the game but other than that it's very good. I haven't used windows since win2000 so I have no idea how the performance compares to windows.
I would have thought your 2080 should manage without breaking a sweat. I am not sure if there are any nvidia specific issues but I would be surprised if there were. I'm CMDR Art Crow if you see me around.
slaapliedje Nov 25, 2019
There is a setting that I think I set in Linux that I did at some point in Windows as well that just tanks performance (I think it was probably shadows). I'll have to check, but as I said in my other post, it does seem to be about 90-100fps difference in performance, at least last time I tested it. There have been a few Proton and nVidia driver updates since then.

Usually the 2080 can handle it, but I do know there is that one setting that just makes it a jitter fest.
slaapliedje Nov 26, 2019
Quoting: buonoPerformance on the vive is pretty good, I have set it to vr ultra. Do get stutters in the station at the start of the game but other than that it's very good. I haven't used windows since win2000 so I have no idea how the performance compares to windows.
I would have thought your 2080 should manage without breaking a sweat. I am not sure if there are any nvidia specific issues but I would be surprised if there were. I'm CMDR Art Crow if you see me around.
Ha, well if I can get Elite to work again, sadly I'm Commander something number, because I didn't get around to fixing it when they offered to change everyone's name.

Weirdly when I finally get the game working, it seems that no matter what quality I put it on (I just tried VR low to VR ultra) I get weird stuttering as I look around. Wonder if it's because I'm running under Gnome, or if the DE affects it somehow.
Julius Sep 30, 2020
Got a used HTC Vive Pro cheaply. Seems like a lot of games that work fine with Proton on the 2D mode, do crash in VR and I am also having some other issues (like COMPOUND not recognizing the Vive controllers).

But Beat Saber works great :)

Still trying out some other stuff. I guess VR on Linux is best described as a work in progress, but you can play some games nicely already.
slaapliedje Oct 1, 2020
Quoting: JuliusGot a used HTC Vive Pro cheaply. Seems like a lot of games that work fine with Proton on the 2D mode, do crash in VR and I am also having some other issues (like COMPOUND not recognizing the Vive controllers).

But Beat Saber works great :)

Still trying out some other stuff. I guess VR on Linux is best described as a work in progress, but you can play some games nicely already.
Yeah, there are definitely rough edges. I wish they would finally fix the lighthouses not waking up over bluetooth.
damarrin Oct 1, 2020
I can only speak from experience with the Index, but it's generally ok. Sometimes SteamVR needs to be restarted for something to work again, sometimes it won't start, that's about it. I also haven't been able to get a single VR video player to work, they all start on the monitor and not the headset, if at all.

The big problem with nvidia is lack of async reprojection, which basically means horrible stutter. My 980Ti is borderline unusable, I had to put my index in 80 hz mode and reduce rendering res to have a fairly smooth experience in HL:A. No Man's Sky is unplayable on any settings. OFC a faster card will deal with this better, which I guess the 2060 must be.
damarrin Oct 1, 2020
Oh, and I have to manually switch the audio device to the headset every time I start VR. That gets annoying very quickly.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.